Camponotus intrepidus bellicosus
|Camponotus intrepidus bellicosus|
|Subspecies:||C. intrepidus bellicosus|
| Camponotus intrepidus bellicosus|
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- bellicosus. Camponotus intrepidus r. bellicosus Forel, 1902h: 493 (s.w.) AUSTRALIA. Combination in C. (Myrmosaulus): Emery, 1925b: 114.
- Syntype, 1 worker, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Syntype, 17 workers, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Worker. Length 12 to 15 mm. Entirely dull red with a black gaster.
Worker major. Mandibles longer and more curved than the type. The head is much widened behind, especially behind the eyes and strongly excavated (in the type it is not widened behind the eyes and the head is only slightly excavated). Metanotum (= propodeum) less convex and the thorax less elongated. Stature more robust; node less thick. Entirely matte, densely and finely reticulate-punctate, with the gaster subopaque and the limbs more or less glossy; pilosity more dense. The punctation sparse superimposed and very feeble, scarcely visible on the head (very distinct in the type); on the gaster, it is by contrast stronger than the type.
Worker minor. Head longer than the type intrepidus and especially less narrow behind with a marked posterior border. In other respects little different.
Sydney (Turner); Australia (my collection)
- Bolton, B. 1995b. A new general catalogue of the ants of the world. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 504 pp. (page 88, catalogue)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 114, combination in C. (Myrmosaulus))
- Forel, A. 1902j. Fourmis nouvelles d'Australie. Rev. Suisse Zool. 10: 405-548 (page 493, soldier, worker described)