| Crematogaster aberrans|
Hosoishi (2015) - This species is unique among Asian Crematogaster ranavalonae-group in having the scape with sparse setae and smaller propodeal spiracles, situated apart from the propodeal declivity.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- aberrans. Crematogaster aberrans Forel, 1892k: 532 (q.),: 533 (w.),: 534 (m.) (diagnoses in keys) INDIA. Combination in C. (Oxygyne): Forel, 1901e: 375. Senior synonym of assmuthi, inglebyi, soror: Hosoishi, 2015: 70. [See note under diffusa.]
- assmuthi. Crematogaster (Oxygyne) aberrans var. assmuthi Forel, 1913e: 662 (w.q.) INDIA. Junior synonym of aberrans: Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- inglebyi. Crematogaster (Oxygyne) aberrans var. inglebyi Forel, 1902c: 201 (w.) INDIA. Junior synonym of aberrans: Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- soror. Crematogaster (Oxygyne) soror Forel, 1902c: 200 (w.q.) INDIA. Junior synonym of aberrans: Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Hosoishi (2015) - (n = 10). HW 0.82-0.96; HL 0.78-0.93; CI 102-109; SL 0.64-0.74; SI 75-82; EL 0.18-0.21; PW 0.50-0.58; WL 0.90-1.05; PSL 0.09-0.12; PtL 0.25-0.30; PtW 0.25-0.32; PtH 0.17-0.20; PpL 0.15-0.19; PpW 0.25- 0.33; PtHI 61-76; PtWI 97-116; PpWI 167-213; WI 100-114.
Head appearing rounded in front view. Mandible indistinctly striate, with four teeth, apical and subapical teeth large, basal two teeth smaller. Scape exceeding posterior corner of head, with sparse appressed setae, each of which is about as long as scape diameter. Compound eye slightly projecting beyond lateral margin of head in full face view.
Mesonotum highly convex in lateral view. Ventrolateral katepisternal ridge in¬distinct. Propodeal spine short and stout; the length variable, but generally as long as propodeal spiracle, dorsum not higher than anterior propodeum in lateral view. Pro¬podeal spiracle as large as mesothoracic spiracle pit, situated apart from the propodeal declivity in lateral view, directed laterally.
In dorsal view, shape of petiole scoop with convex side, as long as broad. Petiole with anterolateral corner angulate. Petiolar spiracle big, as wide as half of propodeal spiracle in diameter, directed laterally. Postpetiole bilobed, with slight longitudinal median sulcus. Postpetiole slightly wider than petiole in dorsal view.
Integument essentially smooth and shiny. Clypeus generally smooth and shiny, but weakly striated with faint rugulae. Malar region with feeble longitudinal rugu¬lae. Dorsal surface of promesonotum weakly punctuated. Lateral surface of pronotum shiny, but weakly punctuated. Mesopleuron weakly punctuated. Dorsal surface of pro¬podeum smooth and shiny. Lateral propodeum smooth and shiny.
Erect pilosity almost absent. Dorsum of head, clypeus and mesosoma with short and appressed, sparse setae. Clypeus without pair of longer setae on anteriormost por¬tion. Anterior clypeal margin with one single longer seta and one pair of longer setae on median portion, mixed with some shorter setae on side. One to three pairs of short, erect setae on pronotal shoulder. Posterolateral tubercle with two pairs of erect setae. Ventral surface of petiole with longer appressed setae. Postpetiole with two pairs of longer setae posteriorly. Fourth abdominal tergite with appressed setae.
Body color reddish brown.
- Crematogaster aberrans: Lectotype (designated by Hosoishi, 2015: 70), worker, Thana, India, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève.
- Crematogaster aberrans: Paralectotype (designated by Hosoishi, 2015: 70), 5 workers, Thana, India, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève.
- Crematogaster aberrans: Paralectotype (designated by Hosoishi, 2015: 70), 1 worker, Thana, India, Naturhistorisches Museum Basel.
- Crematogaster aberrans assmuthi: Syntype, Mumbai (as Bombay), India, M. Assmuth, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève; examined by Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- Crematogaster aberrans inglebyi: Syntype, 3 workers, Travancore, India, Ferguson & Ingleby, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève; examined by Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- Crematogaster soror: Syntype, 2 or 3 workers, Poona, India, Wroughton, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève; examined by Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- Crematogaster soror: Syntype, 2 or 3 workers, Mumbai (as Bombay), India, Rothney, Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève; examined by Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- Crematogaster soror: Syntype, 1 worker, Mumbai (as Bombay), India, Rothney, Naturhistorisches Museum Basel; examined by Hosoishi, 2015: 70.
- Forel, A. 1892l. Nouvelles espèces de Formicides de Madagascar (récoltées par M. Sikora). Première série. Ann. Soc. Entomol. Belg. 36: 516-535 (page 532, 534, queen described, male described (diagnosis in keys))
- Forel, A. 1901j. Variétés myrmécologiques. Ann. Soc. Entomol. Belg. 45: 334-382 (page 375, Combination in D. (Oxygyne))
- Hosoishi, S. 2015. Revision of the Crematogaster ranavalonae-group in Asia, with description of two new species (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Journal of Hymenoptera Research 42, 63-92.