| Dorymyrmex goeldii|
This mountain species has been found at some high elevation locales (1700 - 1900 m) but is more common in areas where it has been found in open habitat sites at lower elevation (~ 500 m).
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
Cuezzo and Guerrero (2011) - Concolours, light brown. Head longer than wide, with the posterior margin of head strongly convex, scape long (SI: more than 115), long mesosoma, in profile. Characters given in the diagnosis are enough to differentiate this species from all other Dorymyrmex found in Colombia.
Keys including this Species
Geographical distribution of D. goeldii has a strong disjunction in Colombia: some populations are found in the Andean region (Deptartment of Santander and Narino) at high altitude, between 1700 a 1900 m; other colonies, where D. goeldii is more common, prefer open areas of an isolated chain of mountains in the La Macarena National Park; in this area, specimens were collected at 493 m. (Cuezzo and Guerrero 2011)
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- goeldii. Dorymyrmex goeldii Forel, 1904c: 41 (w.) BRAZIL. Combination in D. (Ammomyrma): Kusnezov, 1952g: 429; in Conomyrma: Kempf, 1972a: 79; in Dorymyrmex: Shattuck, 1992c: 85. See also: Cuezzo & Guerrero, 2011: 17. Current subspecies: nominal plus dubius, fumigatus.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Cuezzo and Guerrero (2011) - (n = 30): HL: 0.70–0.86; HW: 0.55–0.72; EL: 0.20–0.26; EW: 0.10–0.18; SL: 0.85–1.00; WL: 1.05–1.36; CI: 77–84; SI: 116–160; REL: 29–32; OI: 50–69; TLI: 147–163.
Concolours, light brown. Sculpture reticulated, widely spaced. Pubescence whitish and dense. Pilosity brownish. Head: psammophore triangular with short setae, the hairs in the top line close to the foramen magnum and do not reach the oral cavity. Uppermost setae of psammophore close to the lower margin of foramen magnum. Scape surpassing occipital margin by more than twice its apical width. Posterior margin of head slightly straight. Mesosoma: 0–2 pronotal erected setae; propodeal tubercle round and short tubercle, directed dorsally; declivitous face of propodeum straight to feebly convex. Metasoma: low petiolar scale.
Cuezzo and Guerrero (2011) - Syntypes. 2w, Para, BRAZIL (Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève).
Named in honor of Emilio Goeldi.
- Cuezzo, F. and Guerrero, R.J. 2011. The ant genus Dorymyrmex Mayr in Colombia. Psyche. 2012:24 pp. Article ID 516058. [doi: 10.1155/2012/516058.] PDF
- Forel, A. 1904d. Miscellanea myrmécologiques. Rev. Suisse Zool. 12: 1-52 (page 41, worker described)
- Kempf, W. W. 1972b. Catálogo abreviado das formigas da regia~o Neotropical. Stud. Entomol. 15: 3-344 (page 79, Combination in Conomyrma)
- Kusnezov, N. 1952j . El estado real del grupo Dorymyrmex Mayr (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Acta Zool. Lilloana 10: 427-448 (page 429, Combination in D. (Ammomyrma))
- Shattuck, S. O. 1992c. Generic revision of the ant subfamily Dolichoderinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Sociobiology. 21:1-181. (page 85, Combination in Dorymyrmex)