| Formica integroides|
Wheeler, W.M., 1913
Nests in open woods. Extensive use of thatch, often in the shape of a dome.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Nevada, Wheeler and Wheeler (1986) - All our 6 records are from the Sierra, i.e., near Lake Tahoe. They represent 4 localities in the Coniferous Forest Biome. Nests were in decaying stumps covered, or surrounded by, thatch. All colonies were populous, active, and aggressive; the bite was annoying.
Nest site selected in areas of moderate to heavy cover or in open areas devoid of cover. Nest begun in or under a log or stump, or under stone or by excavation in the soil. Little or no to extensive use made of thatching. The finished nest considerably influenced by the size of the object in which it was started, ranging from without any superstructure or with a thin disc of thatching spread around the opening to a dome shaped nest (Creighton, 1940)
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- integroides. Formica truncicola subsp. integroides Wheeler, W.M. 1913f: 438 (w.q.) U.S.A. [First available use of Formica rufa subsp. obscuriventris var. integroides Emery, 1893i: 649; unavailable name.] Subspecies of rufa: Creighton, 1940a: 3. Raised to species and senior synonym of subcaviceps: Creighton, 1950a: 489. Senior synonym of subfasciata: Brown, 1965d: 185.
- subcaviceps. Formica rufa subsp. subcaviceps Creighton, 1940a: 1, fig. 1 (w.m.) U.S.A. [First available use of Formica truncicola subsp. integra var. subcaviceps Wheeler, W.M. 1917a: 540; unavailable name.] Junior synonym of integroides: Creighton, 1950a: 489.
- subfasciata. Formica rufa subsp. subfasciata Creighton, 1940a: 1, fig. 1 (w.) U.S.A. [First available use of Formica truncicola subsp. integroides var. subfasciata Wheeler, W.M. 1917a: 539; unavailable name.] Subspecies of integroides: Creighton, 1950a: 490. Junior synonym of integroides: Brown, 1965d: 185.
- Brown, W. L., Jr. 1965d. Studies on North American ants. I. The Formica integra subgroup. Entomol. News 76: 181-186 (page 185, senior synonym of subfasciata)
- Creighton, W. S. 1940a. A revision of the North American variants of the ant Formica rufa. Am. Mus. Novit. 1055: 1-10 PDF
- Creighton, W. S. 1950a. The ants of North America. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 104: 1-585 (page 489, raised to species, and senior synonym of subcaviceps)
- Emery, C. 1893k. Beiträge zur Kenntniss der nordamerikanischen Ameisenfauna. Zool. Jahrb. Abt. Syst. Geogr. Biol. Tiere 7: 633-682 (page 649, As Formica rufa subsp. obscuriventris var. integroides; unavailable name)
- Wheeler, G. C. and J. Wheeler. 1986. The ants of Nevada. Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles.
- Wheeler, W. M. 1913i. A revision of the ants of the genus Formica (Linné) Mayr. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 53: 379-565 (page 438, First available use of Formica rufa subsp. obscuriventris var. integroides Emery; worker, queen described)