|Based on Ward & Fisher, 2016. Note that Stigmatomma is not currently monophyletic and some species are more closely related to those of other genera than to each other.|
Ward and Fisher (2016) - Fulakora can be distinguished from Stigmatomma as follows. In workers of New World Stigmatomma (i.e. Stigmatomma pallipes and relatives), the frontal lobes and antennal sockets are widely separated by a broadly rounded or triangular section of clypeus, and the teeth along the mid-length of the mandible are fused at the base. In contrast, in New World Fulakora workers, the frontal lobes are usually fused or separated by a very narrow extension of the clypeus. If the frontal lobes are widely separated (e.g. Fulakora mystriops), then the inner surface of the mandible has two separate rows of teeth. In Australasian Fulakora, the frontal lobes are fused, the anterior subpetiolar process (keel) has a distinct fenestra, and the mesonotum is generally separated from the propodeum by a metanotal groove. In Australasian Stigmatomma, the subpetiolar process lacks a fenestra and the mesonotum is not separated from the propodeum by a metanotal groove.
Keys including this Genus
Distribution and Richness based on AntMaps
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- FULAKORA [Amblyoponinae]
- Fulakora Mann, 1919: 279 [as subgenus of Stigmatomma]. Type-species: Stigmatomma (Fulakora) celata, by original designation.
- Fulakora junior synonym of Stigmatomma: Brown, 1949: 88.
- Fulakora junior synonym of Amblyopone: Brown, 1960: 155; Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012: 17.
- Fulakora revived status as genus: Ward & Fisher, 2016: 691.
- ERICAPELTA [junior synonym of Amblyopone]
- Ericapelta Kusnezov, 1955: 273. Type-species: Ericapelta egregia, by monotypy.
- Ericapelta junior synonym of Amblyopone: Brown, 1960: 156.
- Ericapelta junior synonym of Stigmatomma: Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012: 17.
- Ericapelta junior synonym of Fulakora: Ward & Fisher, 2016: 691.
- PARAPRIONOPELTA [junior synonym of Fulakora]
- Paraprionopelta Kusnezov, 1955: 270. Type-species: Paraprionopelta minima, by monotypy.
- Paraprionopelta junior synonym of Fulakora: Ward & Fisher, 2016: 691.
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 154, Fulakora as junior synonym of Stigmatomma)
- Brown, W. L., Jr. 1949. A new American Amblyopone, with notes on the genus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Psyche (Camb.) 56: 81-88 (page 88, Fulakora as junior synonym of Stigmatomma)
- Brown, W. L., Jr. 1960. Contributions toward a reclassification of the Formicidae. III. Tribe Amblyoponini (Hymenoptera). Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 122: 143-230 (page 156, Ericapelta as junior synonym of Amblyopone)
- Mann, W. M. 1919. The ants of the British Solomon Islands. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 63: 273-391 (page 279, Fulakora as subgenus of Stigmatomma)
- Ward, P.S. & Fisher, B.L. 2016. Tales of dracula ants: the evolutionary history of the ant subfamily Amblyoponinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Systematic Entomology, 41, 683–693 (DOI: 10.1111/syen.12186).
- Yoshimura, M. & Fisher, B.L. 2012. A revision of male ants of the Malagasy Amblyoponinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) with resurrections of the genera Stigmatomma and Xymmer. PLoS ONE 7(3):e33325 (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033325).