| Iridomyrmex cappoinclinus|
The species has been collected in arid areas. The nest from which the type series was taken was in a low sand dune vegetated by Triodia and Acacia, and consisted of a single entrance in a slight depression. Two other nest collections have also been made, in each case in a sandy area vegetated by Triodia on one instance and by Acacia on the other occasion (see Shattuck, 1993b).
Iridomyrmex cappoinclinus differs from other members of the I. rufoinclinus complex in its colour pattern; namely, mesosoma generally yellowish to reddish, but with a reddish-brown to blackish frons.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- cappoinclinus. Iridomyrmex cappoinclinus Shattuck, 1993b: 1315, figs. 30, 31, 37 (w.) AUSTRALIA. See also: Heterick & Shattuck, 2011: 57.
- Holotype, worker, 73km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection. , ANIC32-000052,
- Paratype, 12 workers, 73km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection. , ANIC32-000053,
- Paratype, 3 workers, 73km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, The Natural History Museum. ,
- Paratype, 3 workers, 73km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, Museum of Comparative Zoology. ,
- Paratype, 3 workers, 73km S Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, Tropical Ecology Research Centre. ,
Worker Description. Head. Posterior margin of head planar to weakly concave; erect setae on posterior margin in full-face view set in a row; sides of head noticeably convex; erect genal setae present on sides of head in full- face view. Ocelli absent; in full-face view, eyes set at about midpoint of head capsule; in profile, eye set anteriad of head capsule; eye semi-circular. Frontal carinae concave; antennal scape surpassing posterior margin of head by 1- 2 x its diameter. Erect setae on scape absent, except at tip; prominence on anteromedial clypeal margin present as an indistinct swelling or undulation; mandible regularly triangular with oblique basal margin; long, curved setae on venter of head capsule present. Mesosoma. Pronotum weakly undulant or almost straight. Erect pronotal setae numerous (12 or more) and longest setae elongate, flexuous and/or curved. Mesonotum sinuous. Erect mesonotal setae numerous (12 or more) and elongate, flexuous and/or curved. Mesothoracic spiracles always prominent as small, vertical protuberances; propodeal dorsum smoothly and evenly convex; placement of propodeal spiracle mesad, more than its diameter away from propodeal declivity; propodeal angle weakly present or absent, the confluence of the dorsal and declivitous propodeal faces indicated, if at all, by an undulation. Erect propodeal setae numerous (12 or more) and elongate, flexuous and/or curved. Petiole. Dorsum of node convex, or planar; node thick, orientated anteriad. Gaster. Non-marginal erect setae of gaster present on first gastral tergite; marginal erect setae of gaster present on first tergite. General characters. Allometric differences between workers of same nest absent. Colour frons of head, coxae and gaster dark brown to blackish, other body parts brick-red. Colour of erect setae pale brown.
Measurements. Worker (n = 7)—CI 93–97; EI 25–27; EL 0.31–0.33; EW 0.18–0.20; HL 1.26–1.36; HW 1.21–1.30; ML 0.58–0.65; PpH 0.17–0.21; PpL 0.75–0.78; SI 87–90; SL 1.07–1.14.
- Heterick, B.E. & Shattuck, S.O. 2011. Revision of the ant genus Iridomyrmex (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Zootaxa 2845: 1-175. PDF
- Shattuck, S.O. 1993b. Revision of the Iridomyrmex calvus species-group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Invertebr. Taxon. 7: 1303-1325.