For details of the ecology of the ant see Shattuck (1993b).
Iridomyrmex prismatis is a well-defined species.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- prismatis. Iridomyrmex prismatis Shattuck, 1993b: 1321, figs. 20, 21, 36 (w.) AUSTRALIA. See also: Heterick & Shattuck, 2011: 123.
- Holotype, worker, about 15km WNW Yaapeet, Wyperfield National Park, Victoria, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 3 workers, about 15km WNW Yaapeet, Wyperfield National Park, Victoria, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection.
Worker Description. Head. Posterior margin of head weakly convex to planar; erect setae on posterior margin in full-face view set in a row; sides of head noticeably convex; erect genal setae present on sides of head in full- face view. Ocelli absent; in full-face view, eyes set at about midpoint of head capsule; in profile, eye set anteriad of head capsule. Erect setae on scape absent, except at tip; prominence on anteromedial clypeal margin always completely absent; mandible elongate triangular with oblique basal margin; long, curved setae on venter of head capsule present. Mesosoma. Pronotum moderately and evenly curved over its length. Erect pronotal setae numerous (12 or more) and longest setae elongate, flexuous and/or curved. Mesonotum sinuous, or straight. Erect mesonotal setae numerous (12 or more), short and bristly. Mesothoracic spiracles prominent or inconspicuous; propodeal dorsum smoothly and evenly convex, or straight and short (equal in length to propodeal declivity); placement of propodeal spiracle posteriad and near propodeal declivity, or mesad, more than its diameter away from propodeal declivity; propodeal angle present as a bluntly defined right angle, the dorsal and declivitous propodeal faces never separated by a carina, or weakly present or absent, the confluence of the dorsal and declivitous propodeal faces indicated, if at all, by an undulation. Erect propodeal setae numerous (12 or more), short and bristly. Petiole. Dorsum of node planar; node thick, orientated anteriad. Gaster. Non-marginal erect setae of gaster present on first gastral tergite; marginal erect setae of gaster present on first tergite. General characters. Allometric differences between workers of same nest absent. Colour brown to black, genae around mandibles and antennal flagellum orange in eastern states populations, pale bluish iridescence present on head and body. Colour of erect setae white.
Measurements. Worker (n = 6)—CI 90–94; EI 28–3 1; EL 0.25–0.29; EW 0.14–0.18; HL 0.90–1.09; HW 0.82–1.00; ML 0.35–0.46; PpH 0.13–0.18; PpL 0.51–0.62; SI 87–94; SL 0.75–0.89.
- Heterick, B.E. & Shattuck, S.O. 2011. Revision of the ant genus Iridomyrmex (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Zootaxa 2845: 1-175. PDF
- Shattuck, S. O. 1993b. Revision of the Iridomyrmex calvus species-group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Invertebr. Taxon. 7 7: 1303-1325 (page 1321, figs. 20, 21, 36 worker described)