Key to Dilobocondyla Species
This key does not include some recently described species from the Philippines: Dilobocondyla carinata, Dilobocondyla oswini, Dilobocondyla rugosa and Dilobocondyla silviae. (see Key to Dilobocondyla Species of the Philippines)
You may also be interested in
- Frontal carinae not continuing to the posterior corners of the head and not so prominent; antennal scrobes only moderately deep => 2
- Frontal carinae prominent, continuing to the posterior corners of the head; scrobes deeper => 9
- Body brownish black; frontal area indistinct; petiole almost twice as long as broad => 3
- Body ferruginous or yellowish brown; frontal area distinct; petiole either much longer than or less than twice as long as broad => 4
- 10 strong rugae between frontal carinae; gaster with longitudinal striations at extreme base only; worker 4.5 mm in total length (Borneo) => Dilobocondyla borneensis
- 14 strong rugae between frontal carinae; first segment of gaster with fine and dense longitudinal striations starting from its base reaching up to almost half of its length; worker 4.8 mm in total length (Vietnam) => Dilobocondyla eguchii
- Mesosoma, petiole and postpetiole opaque; sculpture absent on mesopleurae => 5
- Mesosoma, petiole and postpetiole shiny; sculpture present on mesopleurae => 6
- Head slightly longer than broad; clypeus with delicate carinae and anterior border feebly emarginate; petiole much longer (more than twice as long as broad); worker 4.5 mm in total length (Java) => Dilobocondyla karnyi
- Head broader than long (HL 1.17, HW 1.22); clypeus with a strong median and two lateral carina and its anterior border strongly emarginate in the middle; petiole comparatively short (less than twice as long as broad); worker 4.8 mm in total length (Malaysia) => Dilobocondyla yamanei
- Frontal carinae almost reaching the posterior corners of the head; worker ≤3.5 mm in total length (Sri Lanka) => Dilobocondyla didita
- Frontal carinae not reaching the posterior quarter of the head; petiole length much greater than (2.5 times) its width; worker ≥5 mm in total length => 7
- Propodeal lobes either rounded or broadly triangular with rounded apex; mandibles with large apical and preapical tooth only; gaster brownish black; pilosity whitish; worker <5.5 mm in total length => 8
- Propodeal lobes rounded; mandibles with three large apical and few indistinct basal teeth; gaster paler; pilosity yellow (based on gyne, 6.5 mm in total length) (Sumatra) => Dilobocondyla sebesiana
- Propodeal lobes rounded; 13 strong rugae between frontal carinae; clypeus with 5 strong carinae; body with subdecumbent hairs except mandibles which have no hairs; worker 5.3 mm in total length (Guangdong, China) => Dilobocondyla gaoyureni
- Propodeal lobes broadly triangular with rounded apex; 14 strong rugae between frontal carinae; clypeus with 3 strong carinae; body with stiff erect hairs; worker 5.0 mm in total length (Vietnam) => Dilobocondyla propotriangulata
- Whole body black; gaster opaque (based on female, 4.75 mm) (Sulawesi) => Dilobocondyla selebensis
Note: Subspecies Dilobocondyla selebensis simalurana, reported from Indonesia, is larger in size; worker 9.6 mm.
- Head and gaster black; gaster either smooth and shiny or reticulate and opaque; worker ≥5.48 mm => 11
- Gaster smooth and shiny; anepisternum and metapleuron smooth and shiny; legs smooth, yellowish brown; worker 5.8 mm (Vietnam and China) => Dilobocondyla fouqueti
- Gaster reticulate and opaque; anepisternum and metapleuron rugoreticulate; legs opaque with fine sculpture, blackish; worker 5.48-6.03 mm (India) => Dilobocondyla gasteroreticulata
- External borders of mandibles either slightly sinuate or not; meso-metanotal constriction distinct; pronotum decidedly broader than long; worker average length 4 mm => 13
- External borders of mandibles not sinuate; meso-metanotal constriction very feeble; pronotum width greater than length, worker not exceeding 3.25 mm (Philippines) => Dilobocondyla chapmani
Note: In subspecies Dilobocondyla chapmani rufobrunnea from Philippines, worker slightly larger (3.80 mm); slightly more opaque surface throughout; coloration dark brown, with the pronotum above paler and more rufous; the mandibles, except the teeth, the sides of the clypeus, scapes, first funicular joint and tarsi beyond their first joint, brownish yellow.
- Mandibles with 6 teeth, gaster striate only at base and striations very short; worker ≥3.93 mm (India) => Dilobocondyla bangalorica
- Mandibles either with 5 distinct teeth or with two distinct apical teeth followed by indistinct and irregular teeth; gaster either longitudinally striate or striate only at base => 14
- Mandibles with 5 distinct teeth; gaster longitudinally striate. Less than 15 rugae between frontal carinae; worker 4.5 mm (Australia and New Guinea) => Dilobocondyla cataulacoidea
- Mandibles with two distinct apical teeth only; gaster striate at base only; 15-17 strong rugae between frontal carinae; head shorter, its posterior corners directed obliquely outward; sculpture feebler; petiole longer; gaster blackish brown; worker 3.25-3.75 mm (Singapore) => Dilobocondyla fulva
- Wheeler, W. M. 1924c. Ants of Krakatau and other islands in the Sunda Strait. Treubia 5: 239-258.
- Bharti, H. & Kumar, R. 2013. Five new species of Dilobocondyla (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) with a revised key to the known species. Asian Myrmecology 5, 29-44.