Key to US Cyphomyrmex species
AntWiki - Where Ant Biologists Share Their Knowledge
Key to workers of Cyphomyrmex species known from the United States, modified from Snelling & Longino (1992).
- Preocular carina straight mesally in front of eye; dorsum of petiolar node with a pair of lateral projects or teeth => Cyphomyrmex wheeleri
- Preocular carina curved medially in front of eye; dorsum of petiolar node rounded, lacking projections or teeth => 2
- Mid-pronotal tubercle pair absent => Cyphomyrmex flavidus
- Mid-pronotal tubercle pair present => 3
- Smaller species, head width 0.56mm or less; hairs in center of first gastral tergum closely appressed and mostly separated by more than their own lengths; median basal groove of first gastral tergum short and usually indistinct => Cyphomyrmex minutus
- Larger species, head width more than 0.62mm; hairs in center of first gastral tergum coarse, not fully appressed, and mostly separated by less than their own lengths; basal groove of first gastral tergum distinct and more than twice as long as wide => Cyphomyrmex rimosus
- Snelling, R.R. & Longino, J.T. 1992. Revisionary notes on the fungus-growing ants of the genus Cyphomyrmex, rimosus group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Attini). Pp. 479-494 in: Quintero, D.; Aiello, A. (eds.) 1992. Insects of Panama and Mesoamerica: selected studies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, xxii + 692 pp.