Key to Vietnamese Amblyoponinae Genera
AntWiki - Where Ant Biologists Share Their Knowledge
Key to Vietnamese genera of the subfamily Amblyoponinae based on workers. Modified from Eguchi et al. (2014), Eguchi et al. (2015) and Satria et al. (2016).
- Petiole narrowly attached to abdominal segment III (gastral segment I); abdominal segment III above helcium with free anterior face (Fig. 9); frontal lobe completely absent, thus antennal socket in full-face view fully exposed (Fig. 10) => Opamyrma (this genus is now in the subfamily Leptanillinae)
- Petiole broadly attached to abdominal segment III; abdominal segment III above helcium without a conspicuous free anterior face (Fig. 11); frontal lobe present, thus antennal socket in full-face view at least partly concealed (Fig. 12) => 2
- Mandible elongate-triangular, armed with 3 teeth (Fig. 13); in closed position inner margin of mandibles not forming a conspicuous gap against the anterior clypeal margin => Prionopelta
- Mandible linear, armed with more than 3 teeth(Figs. 14, 15, 16); if mandible armed with 3 teeth, the apical teeth forming an elongate and falcate apical blade, and 2nd and 3rd teeth blunt or truncate apically; in closed position inner margin of mandibles separated from anterior clypeal margin by a large gap => 3
- Apex of mandible round, with minute teeth (Fig. 16); body covered with spatulate setae (Fig. 17) => Mystrium
- Apex of mandible with distinct apical tooth/teeth (Figs. 14, 15); body without spatulate setae (Fig. 18) => 4
- A few apical segments of antenna distinctly flattened (Figs. 19, 20); outer surface of middle tibia with thickened peglike setae scattered among normal finer background pilosity => Myopopone
- All of antennal segments terete, not flattened (Figs. 21, 22); outer surface of mesotibia without peglike or spiniform setae (the surface of mesotibia often with relatively long standing setae scattered among background pilosity) => 5
- Anteromedian part of clypeus produced as a clypeal lobe; petiole with a distinct anterior peduncle => Xymmer
- Anteromedian part of clypeus never produced as a clypeal lobe; petiole essentially sessile. => Stigmatomma (=Bannapone)
- Eguchi, K., Bui, T.V., Yamane, S., and Terayama, M. 2015. Redefinition of the genus Bannapone and description of B. cryptica sp. nov. (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Amblyoponinae). Zootaxa. 4013:77–86.
- Eguchi, K., Bui, T.V. & Yamane, S. 2014. Generic Synopsis of the Formicidae of Vietnam (Insecta: Hymenoptera), Part II - Cerapachyinae, Aenictinae, Dorylinae, Leptanillinae, Amblyoponinae, Ponerinae, Ectatomminae and Ponerinae. Zootaxa, 3860, 1–46.
- Satria, R., Sasaki, O.; Bui, T. V., Oguri, E., Syoji, K., Fisher, B.L., Yamane, S. & Eguchi, K. 2016. Description of the first Oriental species of the ant genus Xymmer (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Amblyoponinae). Zootaxa 4168:141-150 (doi:10.11646/zootaxa.4168.1.7).