Key to parasitic Tetramorium species
This queen key is based on: Kiran, K., Karaman, C., Lapeva-Gjonova, A. & Aksoy, V. 2017. Two new species of the “ultimate” parasitic ant genus Teleutomyrmex Kutter, 1950 from the Western Palaearctic. Myrmecological News 25: 145-155.
Originally assigned their own genus, Teleutomyrmex, these ants prey on other Tetramorium species. The species Tetramorium atratulum is not included in this key and bears no resemblance to the other parasites in the genus.
Males of T. buschingeri have yet to be collected.
You may also be interested in
- Gynes . . . . . 2
- Males . . . . . 5
return to couplet #1
- Carinae or teeth on dorsal surface of propodeum absent, dorsal profile of propodeum much shorter than the declivitous one. All lateral surfaces of mesosoma and petiole covered by a well-developed reticulate or alveolate microsculpture. Head length index CL / CW < 0.945. Southern Balkans . . . . . Tetramorium buschingeri
- Carinae or teeth on dorsal surface of propodeum present, dorsal profile of propodeum not much shorter than the declivitous one. Surfaces of lateral mesosoma and petiole only in patches covered by a reticulate or alveolate microsculpture or completely smooth. Head length index CL / CW > 0.945 . . . . . 3
return to couplet #2
- Scape long, SL / CS > 1.00. Distance of frontal carinae clearly larger than petiolar width, DFC / PW > 1.096. Size small, CW < 464 μm. Scapes and tibiae with weaker, largely decumbent pilosity. Southern Iberia . . . . . Tetramorium kutteri
- Scape shorter, SL / CS < 1.00. Distance of frontal carinae not much larger than petiolar width, DFC/PW < 1.096. Size larger, CW > 464 μm. Scapes and tibiae with profuse erect or suberect pilosity . . . . . 4
return to couplet #3
- Ratio of distance between lateral ocelli and large diameter of complex eye larger: DLO / EL 0.93 - 1.11. Katepisternum with many long decumbent hairs, posterior corners of head posterior of the eyes smooth, absolute scape length larger: SL > 457 μm. Anatolia . . . . . Tetramorium seiferti
- Ratio of distance between lateral ocelli and large diameter of complex eye smaller: DLO / EL 0.70 - 0.80. Katepisternum without or only with a few decumbent hairs, posterior corners of head posterior of the eyes densely microreticulate, absolute scape length smaller: SL < 457 μm. Alps and Pyrenees . . . . . Tetramorium inquilinum
return to couplet #1
- Anterior clypeal margin straight . . . . . 6
- Anterior clypeal margin concave medially . . . . . Tetramorium seiferti
return to couplet #5
- Subgenital plate broadly convex, sagitta with sinusoidal shape . . . . . Tetramorium kutteri
- Subgenital plate slightly concave, sagitta broadly convex . . . . . Tetramorium inquilinum