This Australian species is known only from queens.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- doddi. Meranoplus aureolus st. doddi Santschi, 1928e: 469 (q.) AUSTRALIA (name misspelled as aerolus in this publication). Raised to species, but unidentifiable taxon, incertae sedis in Meranoplus: Taylor, 1990c: 38.
- Meranoplus aureolus doddi Santschi, 1928: Lectotype (designated by Taylor, 1990: 38), queen, Townsville, Queensland, Australia, Naturhistorisches Museum, Basel.
- Meranoplus aureolus doddi Santschi, 1928: Paralectotype (designated by Taylor, 1990: 38), 2 queens, Townsville, Queensland, Australia, Naturhistorisches Museum, Basel.
- Meranoplus aureolus doddi Santschi, 1928: Paralectotype (designated by Taylor, 1990: 38), 1 queen, Townsville, Queensland, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection.
Taylor (1990): Four dealate syntype queens [Townsville (19/146), Qld, NHMB] are considered here not to be conspecific with available types of Meranoplus aureolus or Meranoplus linae, and I have been unable to match them with worker-associated queens. They seem unlikely to be females of any named worker-based species, but queens of most are unknown for comparison in any case. M. doddi is thus probably valid, but, except for the purposes of identifying further conspecific queens, it should be considered a species inquirenda until workers associated with queens matching the types are available for study. A lectotype and 4 paralectotypes are here designated, and a paralectotype has been donated to the ANIC by the NHMB. The types were erroneously reported to be workers by Taylor & D. R. Brown (1985).
- Santschi, F. 1928e. Nouvelles fourmis d'Australie. Bull. Soc. Vaudoise Sci. Nat. 56: 465-483 (page 469, queen described)
- Taylor, R. W. 1990d. The nomenclature and distribution of some Australian and New Caledonian ants of the genus Meranoplus Fr. Smith (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Myrmicinae). Gen. Appl. Entomol. 22: 31-40 (page 38, Raised to species but species inquirenda)