This species is known from a restricted area of northern Queensland measuring less than 50km by 70km. It occurs in rainforest where it has been collected from leaf litter samples.
Shattuck (2009) - Antero-medial surface of pronotum immediately behind the collar with at most very weak sculpturing and sometimes nearly smooth, this region differing significantly from the more heavily sculptured posterior regions of the pronotum and mesonotum; sculpturing on pronotum running longitudinally and generally with the central carina (or carinae) running nearly the length of the mesosoma; body smaller (HW < 0.60mm, MTL < 0.30mm); head elongate (CI < 95). This species is most similar to Myrmecina eruga and Myrmecina silvalaeva in the pattern of sculpturing on the pronotum but differs from eruga in being smaller and with a more elongate head and from silvalaeva in the longitudinal (rather than transverse) carinae on the dorsum of the mesosoma.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- pumila. Myrmecina pumila Shattuck, 2009a: 13, figs. 5, 23-25, 47 (w.) AUSTRALIA.
- Holotype, worker, Bellenden Ker Range, Cableway Base Station, 100m, Queensland, Australia, Earthwatch, Qld Museum, ANIC32-047349, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 1 worker, Crater National Park, Queensland, Australia, Taylor,R.W. & Feehan,J.E., ANIC32-001269, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 1 worker, Malanda Falls Environmental Park, Queensland, Australia, Cutter,A.D., ANIC32-011657, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 1 worker, Danbulla Forestry Reserve, Queensland, Australia, Holt,J., ANIC32-047262, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 1 worker, Danbulla Forestry Reserve, Queensland, Australia, Greenslade,P.J.M., ANIC32-047263, Australian National Insect Collection.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Antennal scapes smooth or with very low ridges. First segment of funiculus cone-shaped. Sides of head behind compound eyes smooth. Sculpturing on dorsal surface of mesosoma shallow “V”s, the dorsal surface of pronotum immediately behind the collar and central mesonotum essentially smooth. Carinae extending continuously from the dorsal surface onto the lateral surfaces of the mesosoma. Metanotal spines weakly developed and essentially absent. Propodeal spines long. Erect hairs abundant, straight. Colour dark brown-black, antennae, mandibles, legs and tip of gaster yellow.
(n = 8) — CI 90–95; HL 0.53–0.60; HW 0.50–0.56; MTL 0.25–0.29; SI 81–92; SL 0.44–0.50; WL 0.62–0.72.