Poorly known. M. kozlovi has been found at the highest altitudes recorded for any Myrmica species worldwide (4800 m) which probably accounts for it being the only Myrmica species that has crossed the Himalayan barrier to live on both the western and eastern slopes. Donisthorpe (1929) wrote that “According to Major Higston [the collector of Myrmica specularis] the ants found at the higher elevations [in the Himalaya] are exceedingly lethargic and sluggish in their movements.” (Radchenko and Elmes 2010)
A member of the kurokii group.
Keys including this Species
M. kozlovi is probably widespread in the Himalayn mountain system and isolated populations predictably can morphologically vary.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- kozlovi. Myrmica kozlovi Ruzsky, 1915a: 435, figs. 10, 11 (w.) TIBET. Senior synonym of specularis: Radchenko & Elmes, 2001a: 259; of mekongi, ruzskyi Weber, subalpina, subbrevispinosa: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 175.
- mekongi. Myrmica kozlovi subsp. mekongi Ruzsky, 1915a: 437, fig. 12 (w.) TIBET. Junior synonym of kozlovi: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 175.
- subalpina. Myrmica kozlovi subsp. subalpina Ruzsky, 1915a: 438, fig. 14 (w.) TIBET. Senior synonym of ruzskyi Weber (unnecessary replacement name): Bolton, 1995b: 283. Junior synonym of kozlovi: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 175. See also: Menozzi, 1939a: 294.
- subbrevispinosa. Myrmica kozlovi subsp. subbrevispinosa Ruzsky, 1915a: 437, fig. 13 (w.) TIBET. Junior synonym of kozlovi: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 175.
- specularis. Myrmica specularis Donisthorpe, 1929a: 446 (w.) TIBET. Junior synonym of kozlovi: Radchenko & Elmes, 2001a: 259.
- ruzskyi. Myrmica kozlovi subsp. ruzskyi Weber, 1947: 471. [Unresolved junior primary homonym of ruzskyi Kiseleva, above.] Unnecessary replacement name for, and hence junior synonym of, subalpina Ruzsky, 1915a: 438: Bolton, 1995b: 282.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Radchenko and Elmes (2010) - dedicated to Colonel Peter Kuzmich Kozlov (1863-1935), the outstanding Russian geographer and explorer, head of many expeditions to Central Asia (Mongolia, China, Tibet).
- Radchenko, A. G.; Elmes, G.W. 2001b. A taxonomic revision of the ant genus Myrmica Latreille, 1804 from the Himalaya (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Entomol. Basil. 23: 237-276 (page 259, Senior synonym of specularis)
- Radchenko, A.G. & Elmes, G.W. 2010. Myrmica ants of the Old World. Fauna Mundi 3: 1-789.
- Ruzsky, M. 1915a. On the ants of Tibet and the southern Gobi. On material collected on the expedition of Colonel P. K. Kozlov. Ezheg. Zool. Muz. 20: 418-444 (page 435, figs. 10, 11 worker described)