Flat-leg Carpenter Ants
Diagnosis. Emery (1925). - "Worker. - Large or medium species; dimorphism pronounced. Head of majors large, more-or-less constricted anteriorly, posterior head margin broadly concave, head never truncate or subtruncate anteriorly; head of minors tending to be oval in form. Clypeus carinate, with or without short anterior lobe; clypeus of majors depressed or even more-or-less deeply emarginate. Antennal insertions situated in anterior half of frontal carinae. Mesosomal dorsum continuous, but with strongly marked sutures very marked, and not marginate or shouldered. Petiolar scale thick, subconical, and sometimes bidente. Legs elongate, tibiae and tarsi strongly compressed; tibiae with outer edges sharp, metatibia curved and saber-like; femora longitudinally furrowed to receive tibiae when completely reflexed; tarsi thin and somewhat elongate. Female. Head very similar to major worker; legs similarly compressed as in worker. Male. (C. banghaasi, Emery). Antennae long, scape surpassing posterior head margin by more than half its length; pedicel slightly larger than antennomeres of flagellum not at all pyriform. Petiole nodiform. Tibiae uncompressed.
Geographical Distribution of Species.- Mexico, Amazon Basin.
Note: According to Santschi, this group would be the Neotropical branch of the subgenus Myrmotarsus. However, the resemblances, which are superficial, are only the expression of a convergence of characters."
(Translated and edited by B. E. Boudinot, 19 February 2017.)
Myrmoplatypus is currently a subgenus of Camponotus.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- MYRMOPLATYPUS [subgenus of Camponotus]
- Myrmoplatypus Santschi, 1921f: 311 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Camponotus platytarsus, by original designation.
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 118, Myrmoplatypus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 169, Myrmoplatypus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Santschi, F. 1921f. Retouches aux sous-genres de Camponotus. Ann. Soc. Entomol. Belg. 61: 310-312 (page 311, Myrmoplatypus as subgenus of Camponotus)