| Paraparatrechina kongming|
This species is confined to the altitudes higher than 3,000 m.
Terayama (2009) - Resembles Paraparatrechina sauteri, by the small body size, short antennal scape, and a pair of erect hairs on the dorsum of propodeum, however, easily separated from the latter by the blackish brown body and larger body size (body yellowish brown and HL ca. 0.40 mm, HW ca. 0.32 mm, TL ca. 1.1 mm in sauteri).
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- kongming. Paratrechina kongming Terayama, 2009: 212, fig. 327 (w.) TAIWAN.
- Combination in Paraparatrechina: Williams & LaPolla, 2016: 250.
- Holotype, worker, Tayulin (3,000 m asl), Nantou Pref., Taiwan, 21 September 1999, Sk. Yamane, National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Paratype, 1 worker, Tayulin (3,000 m asl), Nantou Pref., Taiwan, 21 September 1999, Sk. Yamane, National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan.
This species was described before LaPolla et al. (2010a) revived Paraparatrechina and was never formally moved to the appropriate genus. It bears a strong resemblance to Paraparatrechina sauteri and has morphological features consistent with other Paraparatrechina species, including the distinct 2, 1 (pronotum, mesonotum) pattern of pairs of macrosetae on the mesosoma and shallow and incomplete mesosomal sutures. (Williams & LaPolla, 2016)
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Holotype. HL 0.53, HW 0.51, SL 0.56, WL 0.65, PL 0.13, PH 0.13, DPW 0.10, TL 1.7.
Head almost as long as wide, with straight posterior margin and convex sides in full face view. Mandible with 5 teeth. Antenna relatively short; scape short, exceeding posterior margin of head by 1/5 its length, with short decumbent hairs, but without long erect or sub erect hairs; 3rd segment as long as wide; 4th and 5th segments each wider than long. Eye 0.10 in maximum diameter.
Pronotum with weakly convex dorsal margin, and with 2 pairs of erect hairs; mesonotum with 2 pairs of erect hairs; metanotal groove shallowly incised dorsally; popodeum with convex dorsal margin and with a pair of erect hairs. Petiole small and low, scale acute triangular in profile.
Color. Blackish brown; antennal 1-3 segments yellowish brown, 4-12 segments brown; legs yellowish brown.
The specific epithet is the Chinese noun Kongming, which is the name of a Taiwanese god.
- Terayama, M. 2009. A synopsis of the family Formicidae of Taiwan. Research Bulletin of Kanto Gakuen University. 17:81-266. PDF
- Williams, J. L. and J. S. LaPolla. 2016. Taxonomic revision and phylogeny of the ant genus Prenolepis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). 4200(2):201–258. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.4200.2.1