Wheeler, W.M., 1921
Found on the ant-plant Tachigalia. (Wilson 2003)
See the description in the nomenclature section.
Keys including this Species
From Wilson (2003): Known from the type locality and from Kaw, French Guiana, col. Mark W. Moffett.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- tachigaliae. Pheidole tachigaliae Wheeler, W.M. 1921f: 148 (s.w.q.) GUYANA. Combination in P. (Hendecapheidole): Wheeler, W.M. 1922d: 3. See also: Smith, M.R. 1955c: 304; Wilson, 2003: 639.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
From Wilson (2003): DIAGNOSIS A member of the tachigaliae group, characterized by very small size and 11-segmented antennae, this species is easily recognized by the following traits.
Major: dorsal surface of head longitudinally carinulate (not transversely carinulate as in other tachigaliae-group species); pronotal dorsum lightly sprinkled with foveolae, feebly shiny; propodeal spines short, stout and directed strongly backward.
Minor: all of head and mesosoma foveolate and opaque.
MEASUREMENTS (mm) Lectotype major: HW 0.64, HL 0.74, SL 0.32, EL 0.08, PW 0.40. Paralectotype minor: HW 0.34, HL 0.38, SL 0.28, EL 0.08, PW 0.22.
COLOR Major: concolorous medium yellow; vertex with a fuzzy, circular brown spot as illustrated.
Minor: concolorous pale yellow.
Figure. Upper: lectotype, major. Lower: paralectotype, minor. Scale bars = 1 mm.
GUYANA: Kartabo, col. William M. Wheeler. Museum of Comparative Zoology - as reported in Wilson (2003)
L tachigaliae, referring to the plant on which the type colony was found. (Wilson 2003)
- Smith, M. R. 1955d. Ants of the genus Pheidole, subgenus Hendecapheidole (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Proc. Entomol. Soc. Wash. 57: 301-305 (page 304, see also)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1921f. The Tachigalia ants. Zoologica (N. Y.) 3: 137-168 (page 148, soldier, worker, queen described)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1922f. A new genus and subgenus of Myrmicinae from tropical America. Am. Mus. Novit. 46: 1-6 (page 3, Combination in P. (Hendecapheidole))
- Wilson, E. O. 2003. Pheidole in the New World: A dominant, hyperdiverse ant genus. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (page 639, fig. major, minor described)