O'Keefe & Agosti, 1998
|At a Glance||• Ergatoid queen|
This species has been collected in sifted debris processed through a modified Berlese-Tulgren funnel from riparian habitat in Costa Rica. This is the only record of an ergatoid queen in this genus. The presence of an ergatoid queen in Probolomyrmex is unexpected, because species with ergatoid queens normally have large colonies (Peeters, 1997). It is noteworthy that the term “ergatoid” was applied here by the authors of the species. It remains to be confirmed if the specimen was in fact a reproductive female.
Oliveira & Feitosa (2019) - Postero-ventral lobe of petiole short and rounded. Subpetiolar process weakly developed. First gastral segment with prora and a dorsal protuberance on the posterior region of gaster.
Probolomyrmex guanacastensis is similar to Probolomyrmex boliviensis but is smaller and has shorter antennal scapes.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The ergatoid female has eyes and ocelli, unlike workers (O'Keefe & Agosti 1997). Body sizes are very similar.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- guanacastensis. Probolomyrmex guanacastensis O'Keefe & Agosti, 1998: 191, figs. 1-4 (w.q.) COSTA RICA.
- Holotype: COSTA RICA: Guanacaste, 8.5 km NW Bagaces: Plazuela Hacienda Monteverde, 31.viii.1996, S. O’Keefe, sift leaf debris (worker) American Museum of Natural History.
- Paratype: same data as holotype, except: 1 ergatoid queen, American Museum of Natural History (see www.antweb.org; specimen CASENT0104673).
- O'Keefe, S. T.; Agosti, D. 1997. A new species of Probolomyrmex (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) from Guanacaste, Costa Rica. J. N. Y. Entomol. Soc. 105: 190-192 PDF
- Oliveira, A.M., Feitosa, R.M. 2019. Taxonomic revision of the genus Probolomyrmex Mayr, 1901 (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Proceratiinae) for the Neotropical Region. Zootaxa 4614 (1): 061–094 (DOI 10.11646/zootaxa.4614.1.3).