|Based on Ward et al. 2016.|
Ants of the genus Rossomyrmex are slave-makers that invade nests of genus Proformica to steal brood that will grow up as slaves (Marikovsky, 1974; Ruano & Tinaut, 1999). This genus was first described from the Caucasian steppes (Arnoldi,1928, 1932) with the species R. proformicarum. No further information on this genus appeared for 40 years, until 1974, when the biology of this species was studied by Marikovsky (1974) in the Tian-Shan slopes, near Almaty (Kazakhstan). Tinaut (1981) described workers and queens of a new species : R. minuchae, found in Sierra Nevada (Granada, Spain) thousands of kilometers away from the Central Asian steppes, the only place where the genus was known until then. The third species of the genus, R. quandratinodum, was described in the Chinese region of Urumchi (Xinjiang) (Xia & Zheng, 1995), located in the western part of China and corresponding to a small region between Mongolia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Distribution and Richness based on AntMaps
• Antennal segment count 12 • Antennal club absent • Palp formula 6,4 • Total dental count 4-6 • Spur formula 1 simple, 1 simple • Eyes present • Scrobes absent • Sting absent
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- ROSSOMYRMEX [Formicinae: Formicini]
- Rossomyrmex Arnol'di, 1928c: 299. Type-species: Rossomyrmex proformicarum, by original designation.
- Agosti, D. 1991. Revision of the oriental ant genus Cladomyrma, with an outline of the higher classification of the Formicinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Syst. Entomol. 16: 293-310 (page 295, Rossomyrmex in Formicinae, Formica genus group.)
- Agosti, D. 1994b. The phylogeny of the ant tribe Formicini (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) with the description of a new genus. Syst. Entomol. 19: 93-117 (page 112, diagnosis, review of genus)
- Arnol'di, K. V. 1928c. Studien über die Systematik der Ameisen. III. Rossomyrmex. Neue Gattung der Ameisen und ihre Beziehungen zu den anderen Gattungen der Formicidae. Zool. Anz. 75: 299-310 (page 299, Rossomyrmex as genus)
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 130, Rossomyrmex in Formicinae, Formicini)
- Donisthorpe, H. 1943h. A list of the type-species of the genera and subgenera of the Formicidae. [concl.]. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 11(10): 721-737 (page 725, Rossomyrmex in Formicinae, Formicini)
- Tinaut, A. 2007. A new species of the genus Rossomyrmex Arnoldi, 1928 from Turkey. Graellsia 63: 135-142. PDF