Wilson & Taylor, 1967
Fernández (2003) - Adelomyrmex samoanus can be separated from other species by the sculpturing of the body (head sub-opaque with longitudinal rugulae, smooth pronotum with few and weak rugulae), mesosomal configuration, and the pilosity (reclining on the head, erect on the rest of the body). This species is known solely from Western Samoa.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Known only from the worker caste.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- samoanus. Adelomyrmex (Arctomyrmex) samoanus Wilson & Taylor, 1967: 77, fig. 62 (w.) SAMOA. See also: Fernández, 2003b: 27.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Fernández (2003) - Measurements (Paratype). HL 0.51 HW 0.41 SL 0.29 EL 0.04 WL 0.50 GL 0.59 TL 1.94 CI 80 SI 71.
Mandibles with 5 teeth, the basal distanced from sub-basal. Hypostomal tooth very small. Eyes poorly impressed with about 4 ommatidia, ill defined. Promesonotum slightly convex. Metanotal groove broad, well impressed. Propodeal dorsum short, flat, then sloping in the declivity face. Propodeal spines triangular. Propodeal lobes rounded. Petiole subtriangular, peduncle very short. Postpetiole ventrally with two transverse carinae. U-shaped trench of first tergum deep. Dorsum of head with longitudinal rugulae. Promesonotum smooth, feebly shining, with a few irregular feeble rugulae. Metanotal groove with short rugulae. Declivity face of propodeum smooth with two medial transverse carinae. Sides of mesosoma with few irregular rugulae. Sides of petiole with transverse rugulae. Pilosity recostated on head, erect and scattered on promesonotum, petiole and gaster. Body brown, appendages lighter.
Fernández (2003) - SAMOA: 3 paratype w, West Samoa, Poutasi S., Upola, in leaf mould, rain forest, 2.ii.1956, T.E. Woodward leg. (Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Insect Collection, Instituto de Ciencias Naturales).
- Holotype, worker, Upolu, Utumapu, Samoa, Museum of Comparative Zoology. , MCZC Type No. 31112,
- Paratype, 12 workers, Upolu, Utumapu, Samoa, Museum of Comparative Zoology. , MCZC Type No. 31112,
- Fernández, F. 2003b. Revision of the myrmicine ants of the Adelomyrmex genus-group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Zootaxa 361: 1-52 (page 27, figs. 68, 76 worker described)
- Wilson, E. O.; Taylor, R. W. 1967b. The ants of Polynesia (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Pac. Insects Monogr. 14: 1-109 (page 77, fig. 62 worker described)