Radchenko & Arakelian, 1991
Radchenko & Arakelian described this species from Armenia (Megri dept.) and compared with members of the A. cecconii group known from Asia. Although one of the authors (SS) had opportunity to examine personally the holotype of Aphaenogaster dlusskyi it was impossible to make detailed morphometric measurements of this specimen. Investigation of the photographs of the type specimen available on AntWeb and measurements made based on this documentation confirmed that this species is a member of the Aphaenogaster splendida group clustered close to Aphaenogaster kervillei. All the characters noted in the original description, especially the shape and sculpture of the head, overlap with these observed in A. kervillei. However, the type locality of A. dlusskyi is located approximately 1000 km east from known localities of A. kervillei. Thus, it remains unclear if A. kervillei is a widespread species and A. dlusskyi is its junior synonym or both represent cryptic taxa. (Salata et al., 2021)
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Number of countries occupied by this species based on AntWiki Regional Taxon Lists. In general, fewer countries occupied indicates a narrower range, while more countries indicates a more widespread species.
Relative abundance based on number of AntMaps records per species (this species within the purple bar). Fewer records (to the left) indicates a less abundant/encountered species while more records (to the right) indicates more abundant/encountered species.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- dlusskyi. Aphaenogaster dlusskyi Radchenko & Arakelian, 1991: 72, figs. 1, 2 (w.) ARMENIA.
- Status as species: Arakelian, 1994: 31; Bolton, 1995b: 69; Borowiec, L. 2014: 11.
- Holotype worker: Арм. ССР, окр. Мег- | ри No, 155-88 | A. Радченко 14.6.88|| Holotype Aphaenoga | ster dlusskyi Rad- |tschenko et Arake- |lian || ANTWEB | CASENT | 0917359 (SIZK), personally investigated (Salata et al., 2021).
- Bolton, B. 1995b. A new general catalogue of the ants of the world. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 504 pp. (page 69, catalogue)
- Radchenko, A. G.; Arakelian, G. R. 1991. New ant species (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) from Armenia. Vestn. Zool. 5: 72-75.(page 72, figs. 1, 2 worker described)
- Salata, S., Karaman, C., Kiran, K., Borowiec, L. 2021. Review of the Aphaenogaster splendida species-group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Annales Zoologici 71 (doi:10.3161/00034541anz2021.71.2.008).
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Borowiec L. 2014. Catalogue of ants of Europe, the Mediterranean Basin and adjacent regions (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Genus (Wroclaw) 25(1-2): 1-340.
- Radchenko A. G., and G. R. Arakelian. 1991. New ant species (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) from Armenia. [In Russian.]. Vestnik Zoologii 1991(5): 72-75.