The type material, a collection of workers that are the only known specimens of this species, was collected in a mountain area at about 3,000 m in altitude.
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Terayama (2009) - Blackish species. This species has a microreticulate head, pronotum and mesopleura, and large postpetiole.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- xuantian. Aphaenogaster xuantian Terayama, 2009: 168, figs. 210, 211 (w.) TAIWAN.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
HL 1 .42, HW 1.18, HW-II 1.05, SL 1.85, WL 2.12, PL 0.55, PH 0.41, DPW 0.24, PPL 0.48, PPH 0.42, PPW 0.40, TL 5.2.
Head microreticulate, 1.33 times as long as wide, with weakly convex posterior margin in full face view; Cl = 84, CI-II = 75. Clypeus with several longitudinal rugae; anterior margin concave at midlength. Antenna moderately long; scape slightly longer than head length; SI = 132, SI-II = 148, Eye 0.20 mm in maximum diameter.
Pronotum microreticulate; mesonotum and mesopleuron micro reticulate; propodeum microreticulate; propodeal spine small and triangular, tip directed to posterior portion. Petiole with a long peduncle; node subtriangular, with almost straight anterior margin and convex dorsal margin, posterodorsal corner not forming an angle. Postpetiole large, with convex dorsal margin in profile.
Color. Body black, antenna and legs brown.
Holotype. Worker, Hehuanshan (3,000 m asl), Nantou Pref., 24. viii. 1988, M. Terayama leg. Paratypes. 4w, same data as the holotype. NIAES.
The specific epithet is the Chinese noun Xuantian, which is the name of a Taiwanese god.
- Terayama, M. 2009. A synopsis of the family Formicidae of Taiwan. Research Bulletin of Kanto Gakuen University. 17:81-266.
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Terayama M. 2009. A synopsis of the family Formicidae of Taiwan (Insecta: Hymenoptera). Research Bulletin of Kanto Gakuen University. Liberal Arts 17:81-266.
- Terayama Mamoru. 2009. A synopsis of the family Formicidae of Taiwan (Insecta, Hymenoptera). The Research Bulletin of Kanto Gakuen University 17: 81-266.
- Terayama, M. 2009. A synopsis of the family Formicidae of Taiwan (Insecta; Hymenoptera). The Research Bulletin of Kanto Gakuen University 17: 81-266.