The type material was collected in a pitfall trap.
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Fernández (2004) - A member of the Carebara escherichi species complex. Recognized by the absence of long hairs on dorsum of head, promesonotum flat dorsally, propodeal lobes broadly concave posteriorly and petiolar peduncle very short.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- paya. Carebara paya Fernández, 2004a: 231, figs. 8K, 12 (w.) COLOMBIA.
- Status as species: Fernández & Serna, 2019: 822.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Holotype: HW 0.28; HL 0.34; SL 0.19; PW 0.18; WL 0.29; GL 0.31; TL 1.11; CI 82; SI 71 68.
As Carebara inca with the following differences:
A longitudinal and narrow stripe between frontal lobes, somewhat continued posteriorly beyond the posterior limits of frontal lobes. Eyes reduced to 1 ommatidium. Promesonotum dorsally straight in dorsal view, anteriorly the dorsal face changing abruptly with anterior face, posteriorly sloping evenly, including the propodeal lobes which form a broad concavity. Petiolar peduncle nearly absent. Dorsum of head densely sculptured with shallow foveolate punctures whose diameters are greater than the spaces separating them; dorsum of promesonotum densely reticulated, fading in propodeal slope. Scapes, dorsum of head, promesonotum and legs with curved pubescence, denser on head, less dense on petiole and postpetiole. Body with a few long hairs (about 0.05 mm) distributed as follows: four in the clypeal area; about 6 on promesonotum, two dorsal on the propodeum, none on legs; two on petiole, about four on the postpetiole, a few on first tergal dorsum of gaster. Body yellowish brown.
Holotype worker. COLOMBIA. Putumayo: La Paya National Park, pitfall trap, 24-25 Sep 2001, E. L. González, leg., deposited in Humboldt Institute.
- Fernández, F. 2004a. The American species of the myrmicine ant genus Carebara Westwood (Hymentoptera: Formicidae). Caldasia. 26(1):191-238. (page 231, figs. 8K, 12 worker described)
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Ramos L. de S., C. G. S. Marinho, R. Zanetti, and J. H. C. Delabie. 2003. Impacto de iscas formicidas granuladas sobre a mirmecofauna não-alvo em eucaliptais segundo duas formas de aplicacação / Impact of formicid granulated baits on non-target ants in eucalyptus plantations according to two forms of application. Neotropical Entomology 32(2): 231-237.