Fernández (2004) - A member of the Carebara concinna species complex. From Emery’s (1906) description: “Resembles Erebomyrma longii Wheeler in color and sculpture. Petiole and lower part of thorax mostly reddish; fine rugae on head and thorax with indistinct punctures behind rugae. Head is parallel-sided, subrectangular, longer than wide. Antennae short, particularly the scape which is barely thickened. Propodeum armed with blunt tooth. Petiole less wide than postpetiole, petiolar node thick, “scame” shaped, depressed above (not hollowed posteriorly, as in E. longii); postpetiole transverse oval. Wings as in E. longii, the radial cell as in this species, but longer. Length 7 mm, wing length 7 mm”.
It was not possible to examine type material for this species, described on the basis of two females collected in Peru. Judging by Emery’s meager description, it is reasonable to suppose that these females are in some way associated with Carebara longii and therefore having 11-segmented antennae; the author probably would have mentioned it if they were 9-segmented. From the description, it can also be inferred that the petiole posteriorly is unlike that of C. longii or Carebara urichi (concave and with transverse carinae). C. peruviana is apparently different from both. The taxonomic status of this species can only be clarified by observing the type specimens.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- peruviana. Erebomyrma peruviana Emery, 1906c: 139 (footnote) (q.) PERU. Combination in Oligomyrmex: Ettershank, 1966: 124; in Erebomyrma: Brandão, 1991: 343; in Oligomyrmex: Bolton, 1995b: 300; in Carebara: Fernández, 2004a: 204.
- Bolton, B. 1995b. A new general catalogue of the ants of the world. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 504 pp. (page 300, Combination in Oligomyrmex)
- Brandão, C. R. F. 1991. Adendos ao catálogo abreviado das formigas da região Neotropical (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Rev. Bras. Entomol. 35: 319-412 (page 343, Combination in Erebomyrma)
- Emery, C. 1906c . Studi sulle formiche della fauna neotropica. XXVI. Bull. Soc. Entomol. Ital. 37: 107-194 (page 139, (footnote) queen described)
- Ettershank, G. 1966. A generic revision of the world Myrmicinae related to Solenopsis and Pheidologeton (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Aust. J. Zool. 14: 73-171 (page 124, Combination in Oligomyrmex)
- Fernández, F. 2004a. The American species of the myrmicine ant genus Carebara Westwood (Hymentoptera: Formicidae). Caldasia. 26(1):191-238. (page 204, fig. 10 Combination in Carebara; worker described)