Shattuck & Marsden, 2013
This species is known from a single collection from a forested area of extreme south-eastern Queensland. Nothing is known concerning its biology.
Pronotum and propodeum with elongate spines; the short pronotal spines are directed anteriorly and approximately parallel to the longitudinal axis of the body, in dorsal view a line drawn between their tips intersects the pronotal collar; the first gastral tergite generally lacking hairs, but with a few scattered, very small appressed hairs.
This species is most similar to Dolichoderus etus and Dolichoderus doriae. They differ in that D. gordoni lacks fine pubescence on the first gastral tergite but has a few scattered, very small appressed hairs. In addition, the overall colour of the body is a lighter red-brown, rather than a dark brown-black. Additionally, variation in pronotal spine length is displayed between D. gordoni and D. etus. Dolichoderus gordoni appears to have shorter, straighter pronotal spines, whereas D. etus has long spines with a distinct curve near the base of the spine. Spine length between D. gordoni and D. doriae appear similar.
Identification Keys including this Taxon
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- gordoni. Dolichoderus gordoni Shattuck & Marsden, 2013: 120, fig. 12 (w.) AUSTRALIA.
- Holotype, worker, Fletcher, Queensland, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection. , E. Sutton, ANIC32-066637,
- Paratype, 15 workers, Fletcher, Queensland, Australia, Australian National Insect Collection. , E. Sutton, ANIC32-061389,
- Paratype, 3 workers, Fletcher, Queensland, Australia, Museum of Comparative Zoology. , E. Sutton, ANIC32-061389,
All available material is similar.
Measurements (n=5). CI 99–100; EI 17–19; EL 0.27–0.31; HL 1.60–1.66; HW 1.59–1.64; ML 2.46–2.61; MTL –1.75–1.71; PronI 67.30–71.06; PronW 1.07–1.15; SI 103–108; SL 1.64–1.77.
- Shattuck, S.O. & Marsden, S. 2013. Australian species of the ant genus Dolichoderus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Zootaxa 3716, 101–143 (doi 10.11646/zootaxa.3716.2.1).