|Colobopsis paradoxa, now Camponotus paradoxus
Hyper False Cork-head Ants
Diagnosis. Emery (1925). - "Worker, soldier, and queen. - Caste dimorphism marked to highest degree. Head soldier and queen of C. paradoxus janitor, Forel, short, obliquely truncate anteriorly, surface truncate area concave and marginate, including, in addition to anterior region of head near mandibles and cheeks, also the entire clypeus up to antennal insertions. In C. christopherseni, Forel, truncation less accentuated. Head of C. paradoxus janitor minor elongate and narrowed posteriorly, such that posterior head margin reduced to its' articular surface (as in some species of Tanaemyrmex). Based on Forel's description, head of minor worker of C. coriolanus, Forel, similar to that of paradoxus; contrastingly, head of C. christopherseni is rounded posteriorly as in most Pseudocolobopsis (perhaps Forel did not see the real minor worker). Clypeus of solder and queen flat, with median longitudinal carina; clypeus of minor somewhat convex, anterior margin scalloped. Frontal carinae (C. paradoxus janitor) of soldier and queen close to their anterior extremity diverging strongly to antennal insertions (that is to say, on the truncation), parallel to posterior point, and very wide-set posteriorly; narrow scrobe present for scape. Frontal carinae of minors slightly sinuate, not particularly close-set. Mesosoma and petiole as in preceding Manniella. Male.- (C. paradoxus janitor). Head elongate like Tanaemyrmex. Antennae long, flagellum with elongate antennomeres, pedicel larger but rather shorter than antennomeres of flagellum. Legs long.
Geographical distribution of species. - Central America, Brazil."
(Translated and edited by B. E. Boudinot, 19 February 2017.)
Hypercolobopsis is currently a subgenus of Camponotus.
|At a Glance||• Phragmotic|
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- HYPERCOLOBOPSIS [subgenus of Camponotus]
- Hypercolobopsis Emery, 1920b: 250 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Colobopsis paradoxa, by original designation.
- Hypercolobopsis senior synonym of Neocolobopsis: Kempf, 1968b: 411.
- NEOCOLOBOPSIS [junior synonym of Hypercolobopsis]
- Neocolobopsis Borgmeier, 1928b: 65 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Camponotus (Neocolobopsis) scrobifer (junior synonym of Camponotus coriolanus), by original designation.
- Neocolobopsis junior synonym of Hypercolobopsis: Kempf, 1968b: 411.
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 117, Hypercolobopsis as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1920b. Le genre Camponotus Mayr. Nouvel essai de la subdivision en sous-genres. Rev. Zool. Afr. (Bruss.) 8: 229-260 (page 250, Hypercolobopsis as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 160, Hypercolobopsis as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1922i. Ants of the American Museum Congo expedition. A contribution to the myrmecology of Africa. VII. Keys to the genera and subgenera of ants. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 45: 631-710 (page 709, Hypercolobopsis as subgenus of Camponotus)