Key to Afrotropical Tetramorium capillosum species complex
These is a small endemic Afrotropical species complex. These species are the only members of the Tetramorium tortuosum species group in this region.
This species complex and key is based on Hita Garcia, F. & Fisher, B. 2013. The Tetramorium tortuosum species group (Hymenoptera, Formicidae, Myrmicinae) revisited - taxonomic revision of the Afrotropical T. capillosum species complex. ZooKeys 299, 77-99.
You may also be interested in
- Afrotropical Tetramorium species groups
- Key to Afrotropical Tetramorium species groups
- Tetramorium tortuosum species group
- Antennal scapes relatively short (SI 73 - 77); petiolar node in profile clearly rectangular nodiform with anterodorsal and posterodorsal margins at about same height (Fig. 1A) . . . . . . Tetramorium hecate
- Antennal scapes always longer (SI 80 - 86); petiolar node nodiform with less rectangular and more rounded margins, anterodorsal margin situated lower than posterodorsal margin (Figs. 1B & 1C) . . . . . 2
- Mandibles strongly longitudinally sculptured; eyes moderately large (OI 23 - 25); whole body dark brown to black in colour (Figs. 2A & 2C) . . . . . . Tetramorium capillosum
- Mandibles unsculptured, smooth and shiny; eyes very large (OI 27 - 31); body bicoloured, head, mesosoma, waist segments yellow to bright orange, gaster very dark brown to black (Figs. 2B & 2D) . . . . . . Tetramorium tabarum