Heterick (2009) - The taxonomy of the M. urens species-group is problematic, and most named taxa (including Myrmecia infima described from Perth, and Myrmecia nigra, described from East Fremantle) cannot be identified with any confidence based on morphological characters. However, possibly three species from this group are represented in the SWBP.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- nigra. Myrmecia picta var. nigra Forel, 1907h: 267 (w.) AUSTRALIA. Clark, 1943: 106 (q.). Combination in Promyrmecia: Clark, 1943: 106; in Myrmecia: Taylor & Brown, D.R. 1985: 13. Subspecies of infima: Wheeler, W.M. 1933i: 63. Junior synonym of infima: Clark, 1934a: 14. Revived from synonymy and raised to species: Clark, 1943: 106; Clark, 1951: 195. Subspecies of picta: Taylor & Brown, D.R. 1985: 13. Revived status as species: Ogata & Taylor, 1991: 1631.
- Holotype, probably destroyed in ZMHB (Berlin) in WW II, East Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia.
- Clark, J. 1934a. Notes on Australian ants, with descriptions of new species and a new genus. Mem. Natl. Mus. Vic. 8: 5-20 (page 14, Junior synonym of infima)
- Clark, J. 1943. A revision of the genus Promyrmecia Emery (Formicidae). Mem. Natl. Mus. Vic. 13: 83-149 (page 106, queen described, Combination in Promyrmecia, Revived from synonymy, and raised to species)
- Clark, J. 1951. The Formicidae of Australia. 1. Subfamily Myrmeciinae: 230 pp. CSIRO, Melbourne. [(31.xii).1951.] PDF
- Forel, A. 1907j. Formicidae. In: Michaelsen, W., Hartmeyer, R. (eds.) Die Fauna Südwest-Australiens. Band I, Lieferung 7. Jena: Gustav Fischer, pp. 263-310. (page 267, worker described)
- Heterick, B. E. 2009. A guide to the ants of South-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum, Supplement 76:1-206.
- Ogata, K.; Taylor, R. W. 1991. Ants of the genus Myrmecia Fabricius: a preliminary review and key to the named species (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Myrmeciinae). J. Nat. Hist. 2 25: 1623-1673 (page 1631, Revived status as species)
- Taylor, R. W.; Brown, D. R. 1985. Formicoidea. Zool. Cat. Aust. 2:1- 149: 1-149, 30 (page 13, Combination in Myrmecia, Subspecies of picta)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1933i. Colony founding among ants, with an account of some primitive Australian species. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, viii + 179 pp. (page 63, Variety of infima)