|Camponotus moeschi, now Colobopsis moeschi
This genus is not in use as it is currently considered to be a junior synonym of Colobopsis.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- MYRMOTEMNUS [junior synonym of Colobopsis]
- Myrmotemnus Emery, 1920b: 246 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Camponotus moeschi, by original designation.
- Myrmotemnus junior synonym of Myrmamblys: Wheeler, W.M. 1921a: 19; Wheeler, W.M. 1922a: 708; Emery, 1925b: 137.
- Myrmotemnus revived status as subgenus of Camponotus: Santschi, 1926c: 601.
- Myrmotemnus junior synonym of Colobopsis: Ward & Boudinot, 2021: 41.
Diagnosis. Santschi (1926). - "I restore this subgenus, which Emery had suppressed, by restricting it to the third species group of Myrmamblys of Emery, and for which C. moeschi Forel is the type. Thus subgenus differs from the other groups by its strongly constricted mesosoma, which brings it closer to the subgenus Karavaievia Emery; it is distinguished from this latter subgenus by its eyes, which are situated more posteriorly, very near the posterolateral angles of the head. Because of this, C. hypoclinoides Wheeler, having its eyes in the posterior third of the head, must be classified as a member of Karavaievia.
(Translated and edited by B. E. Boudinot, 19 February 2017.)
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 117, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Donisthorpe, H. 1943g. A list of the type-species of the genera and subgenera of the Formicidae. [part]. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 11(10): 617-688 (page 671 , Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys (anachronism))
- Emery, C. 1920b. Le genre Camponotus Mayr. Nouvel essai de la subdivision en sous-genres. Rev. Zool. Afr. (Bruss.) 8: 229-260 (page 246, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 137, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)
- Santschi, F. 1926c. Nouvelles notes sur les Campontous. Rev. Suisse Zool. 33: 597-618 (page 601, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Ward, P.S., Boudinot, B.E. 2021. Grappling with homoplasy: taxonomic refinements and reassignments in the ant genera Camponotus and Colobopsis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Arthropod Systematics & Phylogeny 79, 37–56 (doi:10.3897/asp.79.e66978).
- Wheeler, W. M. 1921a. Professor Emery's subgenera of the genus Camponotus Mayr. Psyche (Camb.) 28: 16-19 (page 19, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1922i. Ants of the American Museum Congo expedition. A contribution to the myrmecology of Africa. VII. Keys to the genera and subgenera of ants. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 45: 631-710 (page 708, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)