Rounded Acne Ants
Diagnosis. Emery (1925) - "Worker and female. - Medium-sized species; caste dimorphism somewhat marked, as in Myrmopiromis. Head as in Myrmopiromis. In majors and queens, the anterior surfaces of head, at least cheeks and clypeus, are with large, internally punctate foveae which are more-or-less numerous and dull. Medial clypeal carina present in minors, absent in majors; anterior clypeal margin with short, rounded or truncate lobe, or devoid of lobe in majors. Pronotum never shouldered; rest of mesosoma and petiolar scale as in Myrmopiromis. Cuticle generally dull, at least on head and mesosoma, gaster often shining; pilosity highly variable. Male. - Forel and Santschi have described several males of this subgenus; I know of none in kind.
Geographical distribution of species. - Afrotropics, Malagasy region including islands; [at least] one species known in Northern India."
Myrmotrema is currently a subgenus of Camponotus.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- MYRMOTREMA [subgenus of Camponotus]
- Myrmotrema Forel, 1912i: 91 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Camponotus foraminosus, by subsequent designation of Wheeler, W.M. 1913a: 81.
- Arnold, G. 1922. A monograph of the Formicidae of South Africa. Part V. Myrmicinae. Ann. S. Afr. Mus. 14: 579-674 (page 613, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 115, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1920b. Le genre Camponotus Mayr. Nouvel essai de la subdivision en sous-genres. Rev. Zool. Afr. (Bruss.) 8: 229-260 (page 245, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 130, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Forel, A. 1912j. Formicides néotropiques. Part VI. 5me sous-famille Camponotinae Forel. Mém. Soc. Entomol. Belg. 20: 59-92 (page 91, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Forel, A. 1914a. Le genre Camponotus Mayr et les genres voisins. Rev. Suisse Zool. 22: 257-276 (page 262, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Forel, A. 1917. Cadre synoptique actuel de la faune universelle des fourmis. Bull. Soc. Vaudoise Sci. Nat. 51: 229-253 (page 250, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1913a. Corrections and additions to "List of type species of the genera and subgenera of Formicidae". Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 23: 77-83 (page 81, Type-species: Camponotus foraminosus, by subsequent designation)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1922i. Ants of the American Museum Congo expedition. A contribution to the myrmecology of Africa. VII. Keys to the genera and subgenera of ants. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 45: 631-710 (page 707, Myrmotrema as subgenus of Camponotus)