(Smith, F., 1857)
This taxon is considered to be unidentifiable and its identity is uncertain. The description is vague and the type material, consisting of at least one major and minor from Sarawak (Borneo), cannot be located.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- cingulata. Atta cingulata Smith, F. 1857a: 77 (s.w.) BORNEO. Combination in Aphaenogaster: Dalla Torre, 1893: 102; in Pheidole: Emery, 1915d: 69. Unidentifiable taxon, incertae sedis in Pheidole: Eguchi, 2001b: 43.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Eguchi (2001) - The original description (Fr. Smith, 1857): “Worker major. Length 1 3/4 line [1 line=2.1 mm]. Head very large, ferruginous, the antennae paler; eyes very small, placed at the sides of the head a little before the middle. Thorax: pale ferruginous, very convex or globose anteriorly, much narrower behind, with two short acute spines on the metathorax; legs pale rufo-testaceous. Abdomen: ovate, with the base truncated, with a fuscous ring in the middle; the nodes of the peduncle globose.
Worker minor. About 1 line in length. The head much smaller and more elongate; in colour, resembling the larger worker, and equally smooth and shining; the abdomen with a fuscous ring in the middle.
Hab. Borneo (Sarawak).”
NO TYPE-MATERIAL FOUND. Also not found by Donisthorpe (1932c). Type-material should be at least one worker major and one worker minor, with Borneo (Sarawak) as the type-locality.
Eguchi (2001) - Major and minor. Borneo. Type material not examined.
According to B. Bolton (pers. com., 2000) “the types of P. cingulata are not here [BM], not at Oxford, and are presumed lost.” Therefore I can not give any additional information on this species.
- Dalla Torre, K. W. von. 1893. Catalogus Hymenopterorum hucusque descriptorum systematicus et synonymicus. Vol. 7. Formicidae (Heterogyna). Leipzig: W. Engelmann, 289 pp. (page 102, Combination in Aphaenogaster)
- Eguchi, K. 2001a. A revision of the Bornean species of the ant genus Pheidole (Insecta: Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Myrmicinae). Tropics Monograph Series. 2:1-154.
- Emery, C. 1915k. Definizione del genere Aphaenogaster e partizione di esso in sottogeneri. Parapheidole e Novomessor nn. gg. Rend. Sess. R. Accad. Sci. Ist. Bologna Cl. Sci. Fis. (n.s.) 19: 67-75 (page 69, Combination in Pheidole)
- Smith, F. 1857a. Catalogue of the hymenopterous insects collected at Sarawak, Borneo; Mount Ophir, Malacca; and at Singapore, by A. R. Wallace. [part]. J. Proc. Linn. Soc. Lond. Zool. 2: 42-88 (page 77, soldier, worker described)