(Smith, F., 1858)
An inhabitant of rainforest. Males were present in a nest at Rancho Grande, Venezuela, during the time of collection, 23-27 June. (Wilson 2003)
See the description in the nomenclature section.
Keys including this Species
In addition to the syntype from Rio de Janeiro, and a series from Sao Paulo, I have seen a series of fabricator from Rancho Grande, Aragua, Venezuela, 1100 m, col W. L. and D. E. Brown. Kempf (1972b) reports the species in addition from the state of Santa Catarina in Brazil. I have also examined the same or possibly a closely related species from near Belem, Para, Brazil; and from the Guayabero River, Meta, Colombia. (Wilson 2003)
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- fabricator. Atta fabricator Smith, F. 1858b: 167 (s.w.q.m.) BRAZIL. Combination in Pheidole: Mayr, 1886c: 360. Senior synonym of nigriventris: Brown, 1981: 528. [P. fabricatrix Schulz, 1906: 155; unjustified emendation.]
- nigriventris. Atta nigriventris Smith, F. 1858b: 169 (w.) BRAZIL. Combination in Pheidole: Mayr, 1886c: 360. Junior synonym of fabricator: Brown, 1981: 528.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
DIAGNOSIS From Wilson (2003): A member of the tristis group similar to Pheidole balzani, Pheidole nigella and Pheidole tristis, and distinguished from these and other species in the group by the following traits.
Major: hypostoma 2-toothed; Head Width greater than Head Length; head with mandibles tapering anteriorly, and overall heartshaped; entire anterior dorsal half of head longitudinally carinulate, including frontal triangle and middle section of clypeus.
MEASUREMENTS (mm) Syntype major: HW 1.18, HL 1.12, SL 0.60, EL 0.14, PW 0.54. Minor (Caraguatatuba, Brazil): HW 0.52, HL 0.56, SL 0.52, EL 0.12, PW 0.32.
COLOR Major: body reddish brown except for gaster, which is plain dark brown; appendages medium to dark brown.
Minor: head plain medium brown except for the genae, which are yellowish brown; mesosoma brownish yellow; gaster dark brown; appendages light brown.
Figure. Upper: syntype, major. Lower: minor, associated with a major that was compared with syntype major (Reserva Floresta, Caraguatatuba, 40-80 m, Sao Paulo, Brazil, col. W. L. Brown). Scale bars = 1 mm.
L fabricator, maker, builder. (Wilson 2003)
- Brown, W. L., Jr. 1981. Preliminary contributions toward a revision of the ant genus Pheidole (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Part I. J. Kans. Entomol. Soc. 54: 523-530 (page 528, senior synonym of nigriventris)
- Mayr, G. 1886c. Notizen über die Formiciden-Sammlung des British Museum in London. Verh. K-K. Zool.-Bot. Ges. Wien 36: 353-368 (page 360, Combination in Pheidole)
- Schulz, W. A. 1906. Spolia hymenopterologica. Paderborn: Junfermannsche Buchhandlung, 355 pp. (page 155, P. fabricatrix; unjustified emendation.)
- Smith, F. 1858a. Catalogue of hymenopterous insects in the collection of the British Museum. Part VI. Formicidae. London: British Museum, 216 pp. (page 167, soldier, worker, queen, male described)
- Wilson, E. O. 2003. Pheidole in the New World: A dominant, hyperdiverse ant genus. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (page 688, fig. major, minor described)