This species is only known from type specimens. Nothing is known about its biology.
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
See the description in the nomenclature section.
Keys including this Species
Only known from the type locality.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- flavida. Pheidole flavida Mayr, 1887: 593 (s.), 603 (w.) BRAZIL. See also: Wilson, 2003: 421.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
From Wilson (2003): A very distinctive member of the flavens group, distinguished as follows.
Major: yellow; seen in side view, head tapered such that occiput in this view is much narrower than anterior margin of head; in full face view the occiput is expanded to be much larger than the anterior head margin; promesonotum low and flat, in side view dropping abruptly through a short, steep face to the metanotum, which is wide and weakly convex; antennal scapes relatively long, their tips reaching the margin of the head in full-face view well behind the midpoint between the eyes and occipital lobes; humerus in dorsal-oblique view low and subangulate; rugoreticulum present between eye and antennal fossa on both sides.
Minor: promesonotum low and weakly convex; humerus obtusely subangulate; head with mandibles in full-face view symmetrically oval; occiput narrowed, with a thin nuchal collar.
MEASUREMENTS (mm) Lectotype major: HW 0.80, HL 0.76, SL 0.54, EL 0.12, PW 0.42. Minor: HW 0.52, HL 0.58, SL 0.58, EL 0.12, PW 0.34.
COLOR Major and minor: concolorous medium yellow.
Figure. Upper: lectotype, major. Lower: minor, presumably from lectotype nest series. Scale bars = 1 mm.
BRAZIL: Santa Catarina. Naturhistorisches Museum Wien, Vienna - as reported in Wilson (2003)
L flavida, yellowish. (Wilson 2003)
- Mayr, G. 1887. Südamerikanische Formiciden. Verh. K-K. Zool.-Bot. Ges. Wien 37: 511-632 (page 593, 603, soldier described, worker described)
- Wilson, E. O. 2003. Pheidole in the New World: A dominant, hyperdiverse ant genus. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (page 421, fig. major, minor described)
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Kempf, W.W. 1972. Catalago abreviado das formigas da regiao Neotropical (Hym. Formicidae) Studia Entomologica 15(1-4).
- Rosa da Silva R. 1999. Formigas (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) do oeste de Santa Catarina: historico das coletas e lista atualizada das especies do Estado de Santa Catarina. Biotemas 12(2): 75-100.