This species is only known from type specimens. These were collected in the Kaw Mountains at the edge of rainforest. (Wilson 2003)
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
See the description in the nomenclature section.
Keys including this Species
Only known from the type locality.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- moffetti. Pheidole moffetti Wilson, 2003: 463, figs. (s.w.) FRENCH GUIANA.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
DIAGNOSIS A medium-large, mostly brown member of the flavens group, distinguished in the major by the completely carinulate sculpturing of the dorsal surface of its head, including notably all of the clypeus; the nearly perfect semicircular profile of the promesonotum in side view; trapezoidal postpetiolar node; rugose mesopleuron; and long pilosity; and in the minor by the bicolorous condition of the body. Close to Pheidole bidens and Pheidole styrax, but among other details, lacking teeth on the anterior clypeal border.
MEASUREMENTS (mm) Holotype major: HW 1.04, HL 1.04, SL 0.58, EL 0.14, PW 0.50. Paratype minor: HW 0.50, HL 0.54, SL 0.48, EL 0.10, PW 0.34. COLOR Major: head medium reddish brown, rest of body medium brown, appendages brownish yellow.
Minor: gaster dark brown, rest of body and appendages light reddish brown.
Figure. Upper: holotype, major. Lower: paratype, minor. Scale bars = 1 mm.
FRENCH GUIANA: Kaw Mountains, 45 km marker, col. Mark W. Moffett. Museum of Comparative Zoology
Named in honor of the collector and distinguished naturalist Mark W. Moffett.
- Wilson, E. O. 2003. Pheidole in the New World: A dominant, hyperdiverse ant genus. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (page 463, fig. major, minor described)
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Fernández, F. and S. Sendoya. 2004. Lista de las hormigas neotropicales. Biota Colombiana Volume 5, Number 1.
- Franco W., N. Ladino, J. H. C. Delabie, A. Dejean, J. Orivel, M. Fichaux, S. Groc, M. Leponce, and R. M. Feitosa. 2019. First checklist of the ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) of French Guiana. Zootaxa 4674(5): 509-543.