This species, known from a single specimen, is one of the most distinct in the genus and also the largest currently known. The collection site, at an elevation of 1600 meters, is unusually high for the genus. The next highest collection site for Turneria is 1000 meters and most collections are below 100 meters.
Frontal lobes without erect hairs, lateral areas of head weakly imbricate and with integument shiny, area between propodeal protuberances flat, head and thorax reddish brown and gaster dark reddish brown. The clypeus possesses 22 erect hairs. This species differs from all other known species in the following measurements: ES, PpW, MH and PpH. It also differs from other Turneria by an additional 3 to 16 metric characters.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- collina. Turneria collina Shattuck, 1990: 109, figs. 8, 9 (w.) NEW GUINEA.
Holotype worker from Nondugl, 1600 m., Western Highlands District, Papua New Guinea, 9.vii.1955, J. L. Gressitt (Museum of Comparative Zoology).
Holotype measurements: OOD 0.21, EL 0.28, OCD 0.13, CL 0.20, HL 0.81, LES 0.07, EW 0.16, ES 0.35, HW 0.78, SL 0.59, PnL 0.45, ML 0.35, PpL 0.24, PnW 0.52, MW 0.34, PpW 0.38, PO 0.02, FFL 0.62, FFW 0.24, MH 0.54, PpH 0.38, CI 0.96, OI 0.56, REL 0.35, SI 0.75, FI 0.38, PI 0.67, PpI 0.64, ROOD 0.26, POI 0.04, RPO 0.02, RMW 0.44, RLES 0.09, RES 0.45, RFFL 0.80.
Definitions of measurements cited above
- CL: Clypeal Length: measured in full face view.
- CI: Cephalic index: HL/HW.
- EL: Eye Length: measured in full face view.
- ES: Eye Spread: distance between inner-most edges of eyes measured in full face view.
- EW: Eye width measured in full face view.
- FFL: Fore Femur Length: maximum length of fore femur measured in lateral view.
- FFW: Fore Femur Width: maximum width of fore femur measured in lateral view.
- FI: Femur Index: FFW/FFL.
- HL: Head Length: maximum length of head in full face view, from the anterior clypeal margin to the midpoint of a line drawn across the occipital margin.
- HW: Head Width: maximum width of head in full face view, excluding eyes in workers and queens, including eyes in males.
- LES: Lateral Eye Space: distance from lateral edge of head to lateral edge of eye measured in full face view.
- MH: Mesothoracic Height: maximum height of the mesothorax measured perpendicular to the measuring axis.
- ML: Mesonotal Length: distance from the pronotal-mesonotal suture to the metanotal groove measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- MW: Mesonotal Width: minimum width of mesonotum in dorsal view profile.
- OCD: Ocular-Clypeal Distance: distance between anterior margin of eye and posterior margin of clypeus measured in full face view.
- OI: Ocular Index: EW/EL.
- OOD: Occiput-Ocular Distance: distance between posterior margin of eye and posterior extremity of occipital border measured in full face view.
- PI: Pronotal Width Index: PnW/HW.
- PnL: Pronotal Length: distance from the anterior edge of the pronotal collar to the pronotal-mesonotal suture measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- PnW: Pronotal Width: maximum width of pronotum, measured in dorsal view.
- PO: Propodeal Overhang: distance from the posterior-most point of the propodeal tubercles to the posterior-most point of the petiolar insertion measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- POI: Propodeal Overhang Index: PO/PpH.
- PpH: Propodeal Height: maximum height of the propodeum measured perpendicular to the measuring axis.
- PpL: Propodeal Length: distance from the metanotal groove to the posterior-most point of the propodeal tubercles measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- PpI: Propodeal Length Index: PpL/HW.
- PpW: Propodeal Width: maximum width of the dorsal propodeal surface in dorsal view.
- REL: Relative Eye Length: EL/HW.
- RFFL: Relative Fore Femur Length: FFL/HW.
- RES: Relative Eye Spread: ES/HW.
- RLES: Relative Lateral Eye Space: LES/HW.
- RMW: Relative Mesonotal Width: MW/HW.
- ROOD: Relative Occiput-Ocular Distance: OOD/HW.
- RPO: Relative Propodeal Overhang: PO/HW.
- SI: Scape index: SL/HW.
- SL: Scape Length: length of the first antennal segment (scape) excluding the basal radicle.
- Shattuck, S. O. 1990. Revision of the dolichoderine ant genus Turneria (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Syst. Entomol. 15: 101-117 PDF (page 109, figs. 8, 9 worker described)