The types were obtained by fogging a forest tree with pyrethrum.
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
A member of the philax group
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- philax. Vombisidris philax Bolton, 1991: 6, fig. 4 (w.) INDONESIA (Sulawesi).
- Type-material: holotype worker, 3 paratype workers.
- Type-locality: holotype Indonesia: Sulawesi Utara, Dumoga Bone N.P., 400 m., 11.ii.1985, fog 5, BMNH plot C (N. Stork); paratypes with same data.
- Type-depositories: BMNH (holotype); BMNH, MCZC (paratypes).
- Status as species: Bolton, 1995b: 423; Xu & Yu, 2012: 1498 (in key).
- Distribution: Indonesia (Sulawesi).
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Holotype. TL 3.6, HL 0.82, HW 0.72, CI 88, SL 0.64, Sl 89, PW 0.54, AL 1.00. Maximum diameter of eye 0.17 (0.24 x HW) and with 11 ommatidia in the longest row. Cephalic dorsum with a fine dense rugoreticulum everywhere. Subocular groove complete. Sides of head weakly convergent behind eyes. Alitrunk long and low, reticulate-rugulose everywhere. Lateral edge of mesonotum with a small vertical triangular tooth on each side. Propodeal spines very long and strongly arched along their length. Propodeal declivity with fine transverse rugulae. Metanotal groove absent. Petiolar spiracle slightly behind midlength of peduncle. Petiole and postpetiole reticulate-rugulose. Basal two-thirds of first gastral tergite densely sculptured, with long coarse basigastral costulae, longitudinal rugulae and densely sculptured spaces between the rugular sculpture. All dorsal surfaces of body with dense fine pilosity. Colour uniformly yellow.
Paratype. TL 3.4-3.6, HL 0.78-0.80, HW 0.68-0.72, CI 87 -90, SL 0.60-0.64, SI 88-90, PW 0.50-0.54, AL 0.96-1.02. Maximum diameter of eye 0.16-0.17 (0.23- 0.24 x HW) (3 measured). As holotype.
Holotype worker, INDONESIA: Sulawesi Utara, Dumoga Bone NP, fog 5, The Natural History Museum plot C, 400 m, II.ii.1985 (N. Stork) (The Natural History Museum). Paratypes, 3 workers with same data as holotype (BMNH; Museum of Comparative Zoology).
- Bolton, B. 1991. New myrmicine genera from the Oriental Region (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Syst. Entomol. 16: 1-13. (page 6, fig. 4 worker described)
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Bolton B. 1991. New myrmicine genera from the Oriental Region (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Systematic Entomology 16:1-13.