The following key to Indo-Pacific Prionopelta is based on Shattuck (2008).
- Anterolateral corners of head, near mandibular insertions, each with a distinct, well developed tooth; size larger, head width > 0.60mm (New Caledonia) => Prionopelta brocha
- Anterolateral corners of head, near mandibular insertions, generally rounded or at most with a very small, obscure tooth on each side; size smaller, head width < 0.58mm (widespread but not known from New Caledonia) => 2
- Dorsal mesosomal sculpturing reduced to minor irregularities; size larger, head width > 0.49mm (PNG, Solomon Islands) => Prionopelta nominata
- Dorsal mesosomal sculpturing distinct, consisting of punctuations (small pin-pricks) and/or foveae (small flat-bottomed depressions); size smaller, head width < 0.48mm (widespread) => 3
- Dorsal mesosomal sculpturing consisting of fine punctations or very small, closely spaced foveae on the pronotum which contrast markedly with the widely spaced foveae on the mesonotum and propodeum, the foveae on the propodeum varying across its width (weakest medially, stronger laterally) => 4
- Dorsal mesosomal sculpturing composed of more widely spaced foveae which are only slightly more dense on the pronotum than on the mesonotum and propodeum, and which are uniformly distributed across the width of the propodeum => 5
- Petiole narrower, PetW < 0.21; pronotal sculpturing consisting of small punctures; variation in sculpturing across width of propodeum weaker (SE Asia to Samoa) => Prionopelta kraepelini
- Petiole broader, PetW > 0.22; pronotal sculpturing consisting of small foveae; variation in sculpturing across width of propodeum stronger (Australia and PNG) => Prionopelta robynmae
- Petiole narrower, PetW < 0.20; colour pale yellow (Irian Jaya) => Prionopelta media
- Petiole broader, PetW > 0.21; colour generally red-brown (PNG, Micronesia and eastward) => Prionopelta opaca
- ↑ Shattuck, S.O. 2008.Revision of the ant genus Prionopelta (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in the Indo-Pacific region. Zootaxa 1846, 21–34.