Key to Dorylus subgenera Males
|Images to add|
This key is based on Gotwald, W. H., Jr. 1982. Army ants. Pp. 157-254 in: Hermann, H. R. (ed.) Social insects. Volume 4. New York: Academic Press, 385 pp. The following morphological homologies should be recognized: - "Second recurrent vein" = duplicated free M. This abscissa is recognizable as one of the three free veins at or near the apex of submarginal cell 1, the other two being free Rs and the second duplicated free M. - "Prediscoidal cell" of hindwing: an adventitious cell formed by the separation of M+Cu, such that three closed cells are present in the hind wing.
The subgenera of Dorylus were synonymized by Borowiec (2016); Borowiec recognized the following species groups:
orientalis-group (= Alaopone): acutus, aethiopicus, atriceps, attenuatus, brevis, buyssoni, conradti, diadema, distinctus, ductor, katanensis, montanus, orientalis, vishnui.
nigricans-group (= Anomma, excl. emeryi, kohli): atratus, erraticus, funereus, mayri, niarembensis, nigricans, rufescens, stanleyi, wilverthi.
laevigatus-group (= Dichthadia): laevigatus.
politus-group (Dorylus s.s., part): politus, spininodis.
helvolus-group (Dorylus s.s., part): affinis, agressor, alluaudi, bequaerti, bishyiganus, braunsi, brevipennis, congolensis, depilis, emeryi, faueri, furcatus, gaudens, ghanensis, gribodoi, helvolus, kohli, mandibularis, moestus, schoutedeni, stadelmani, staudingeri, striatidens, titan.
fimbriatus-group (= Rhogmus): fimbriatus, fuscipennis, leo, ocellatus, savagei, termitarius.
fulvus-group (= Typhlopone): fulvus, labiatus.
incertae sedis: atratus, westwoodi.
- Forewing with “second recurrent” vein; aedeagus enlarged distally, in dorsal view its apex is knoblike; mandible as in figure …..Rhogmus
- Forewing without “second recurrent” vein; aedeagus smoothly tapered distally, not terminating in a knoblike enlargement; mandible shaped otherwise.....2
return to couplet .....1
- Hindwing with a prediscoidal cell; mandible as in figure…..Dichthadia
- Hindwing without a prediscoidal cell; mandible otherwise.....3
return to couplet .....2
- Petiole in dorsal view nearly square or round.....4
- Petiole in dorsal view wider then long, its posterior surface concave or at least flattened.....5
return to couplet .....3
- Crossvein cu-a forewing intersects with M+CuA, i.e., proximal to the intersection of Mfl (occasionally the cu-a and the Mfl intersections are opposite one another); anterior margin of labrum medially cleft; mandibles as in figure …..Typhlopone
- Crossvein cu-a forewing intersects with CuA, i.e., distal to the intersection of Mfl; anterior margin of labrum entire; mandibles as in figure …..Alaopone
return to couplet .....3
- Antennal fossa projects beyond the anterior margin of the head forming a prominent tooth; prongs of the subgenital plate are parallel or only slightly divergent at their apices…..Anomma
- Antennal fossa forming a wide but inconspicuous protrusion; prongs of the subgenital plate are divergent, not parallel…..Dorylus s. str.