| Aenictus levior|
A member of the pachycerus group.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Known only from the worker caste.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- levior. Eciton (Aenictus) impressus var. levior Karavaiev, 1926d: 425 (w.) INDONESIA (Buru I.). Junior synonym of aratus: Wilson, 1964a: 446. Revived from synonymy and raised to species: Shattuck, 2008c: 17.
Worker syntypes from Buru Island, Indonesia.
The following taxonomic notes are provided by Shattuck (2008):
Aenictus material from Indonesia is uncommon in collections and drawing conclusions on the species involved is difficult. However, it would appear that A. levior is a valid species and not a junior synonym of A. aratus as suggested earlier. Morphologically this species has a head shape similar to A. aitkenii (relatively broad) but the scape is shorter. However, this analysis is based on limited material and should be considered tentative until additional specimens become available. Material referable to this species has been examined from Sumatra, Indonesia, peninsular Malaysia and Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Jaitrong, W. & Wiwatwitaya, D. 2013. Two new new species of the Aenictus pachycerus species group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Aenictinae) from Southeast Asia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 61, 97-102.
- Karavaiev, V. 1926d. Ameisen aus dem Indo-Australischen Gebiet. Treubia 8: 413-445 (page 425, worker described)
- Shattuck, S.O. (2008) Review of the ant genus Aenictus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in Australia with notes on A. ceylonicus (Mayr). Zootaxa 1926, 1–19.
- Wilson, E. O. 1964a. The true army ants of the Indo-Australian area (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Dorylinae). Pac. Insects 6: 427-483 (page 446, junior synonym of aratus)