Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- subnitidus. Camponotus subnitidus Mayr, 1876: 65 (s.w.) AUSTRALIA. Combination in C. (Dinomyrmex): Forel, 1914a: 268; in C. (Tanaemyrmex): Emery, 1925b: 91. Current subspecies: nominal plus famelicus, longinodis.
- Holotype, many workers, Peak Downs, Queensland, Australia, Naturhistorisches Museum Wien, Vienna.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Worker. 12-17 mm long. Black dusky with funicles and with part of the tarsus rufo-ferruginous and in the minor worker with the apex of the mandibles more or less rufo-ferruginous and in the minor with a thorax rarely testaceous and petiole and the feet less testaceous; scarcely hairy the pubescence fine and very scarce; mandibles with coarse punctations and the gaster in the same manner transversely striated, in the major worker with the head especially the anterior, sub-opaque densely and finely coriaceous with the larger punctations bearing minute erect hairs; the head in the major is very large (width 4 mm length 4.9 mm), in the posterior part arcuate and emarginate, clypeus distinctly not carined anteriorly produced emarginate and with both sides arcuate, and in the minor the head is narrow wider at the front than at the back and is clearly gradually narrowing behind the eyes towards the articulation, narrower than the thorax, clypeus distinctly keeled with the anterior margin arcuate, thorax is convex above the propodeum angle,and in the minor worker elongated, the petiole above is thickened in a knot.
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 91, Combination in C. (Tanaemyrmex))
- Forel, A. 1914a. Le genre Camponotus Mayr et les genres voisins. Rev. Suisse Zool. 22: 257-276 (page 268, Combination in C. (Dinomyrmex))
- Mayr, G. 1876. Die australischen Formiciden. J. Mus. Godeffroy 12: 56-115 (page 65, soldier, worker described)