Curtin University staff and students at Carrabin Nature reserve inspected an active nest of this huge species, near where a specimen was also collected in a pitfall trap (Heterick 2009).
Heterick (2009) - Distinguished by the long, erect setae on the side of the head capsule.
Keys including this Species
Heterick (2009) - Myrmecia fulgida has been recorded from the western goldfields of WA.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- fulgida. Myrmecia fulgida Clark, 1951: 73, fig. 52 (w.) AUSTRALIA. Senior synonym of suttoni: Ogata & Taylor, 1991: 1657.
- suttoni. Myrmecia suttoni Clark, 1951: 72, figs. 50, 51 (w.q.) AUSTRALIA. Junior synonym of fulgida: Ogata & Taylor, 1991: 1657.
- Myrmecia fulgida: Holotype, worker, Parker Range, Western Australia, Australia, Greaves,T., ANIC32-006412, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Myrmecia fulgida: Paratype, 4 workers, Parker Range, Western Australia, Australia, Greaves,T., ANIC32-015324, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Myrmecia suttoni: Holotype, worker, Fletcher, Queensland, Australia, Sutton,E., ANIC32-015326, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Myrmecia suttoni: Paratype, 3 workers, Fletcher, Queensland, Australia, Sutton,E., ANIC32-006416, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Clark, J. 1951. The Formicidae of Australia. 1. Subfamily Myrmeciinae: 230 pp. CSIRO, Melbourne. [(31.xii).1951.] PDF
- Heterick, B. E. 2009. A guide to the ants of South-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum, Supplement 76:1-206. PDF
- Ogata, K.; Taylor, R. W. 1991. Ants of the genus Myrmecia Fabricius: a preliminary review and key to the named species (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Myrmeciinae). J. Nat. Hist. 2 25: 1623-1673 (page 1657, Senior synonym of suttoni)